Hulsey shares platform with campus

Brett Hulsey: Wisconsin state Assembly candidate and Dane County Supervisor Brett Hulsey highlighted his committment to the environment during a Campus Democrats meeting.

Hulsey shares platform with campus

Wisconsin state Assembly candidate Dane County Supervisor Brett Hulsey told students he would fight for green jobs and environmental conservation during a UW-Madison Campus Democrats meeting Thursday.

Hulsey is vying to replace state Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, who will not seek re-election this fall.

If he replaces Black, Hulsey would represent most of the student body.  Hulsey said he would bring green jobs to UW-Madison and work to make the campus more environmentally friendly.

""I worked with the Sierra Club for 17 years now and we're trying to clean up power plants all across Wisconsin,"" Hurley said. ""And the dirtiest coal plant in the state is right here in the middle of UW-Madison.""

According to Hulsey, state funding for UW-Madison has declined, forcing to pay more for tuition as a result.

""In District 77 I represent virtually all of UW-Madison, and I will be an advocate for you,"" he said, adding that he will be ""there to say not only is [funding UW-Madison] a good value … but it's a good investment.""

Trevor Dinsmoor, a freshman and member of UW-Madison Campus Democrats, said he appreciates Hulsey's clean lakes and bioenergy ideas.

""I like that there's a candidate that's moving up that wants to take care of the environment more,"" he said.

Abrianna Barca, a senior and second vice chair of UW-Madison Campus Democrats, said Hulsey pinpoints the progressive issues students are concerned about.

""I think he's a really exciting candidate and appreciate that he seems to understand what UW-Madison students are interested in, especially with his involvement as a professor on campus and his direct involvement with different issues on campus,"" she said.

Hulsey faces Green Party candidate Ben Manski, Republican candidate David Redick and Constitution Party candidate David Olson in the Nov. 2 election.