Fire Dept. investigates HazMat threat

The Madison Hazardous Incident Team and Fire Department responded to an odor complaint at 1 N. Bedford St. Sunday.

Firefighters investigated the second-floor apartment, where occupants complained about a strong odor of cleaning agents, according to a statement from Madison Fire Department spokesperson Bernadette Galvez. When unable to detect any odors the firefighters left the scene.

Police sent the HazMat team to the apartment at noon after discovering multiple bottles and containers of cleaning agents. The cleaning agents were found on the third floor, directly above the occupants who made the complaint.

The HazMat team examined the air quality and found all levels normal, Galvez said.

The two occupants of the second floor apartment who complained about the odor admitted themselves to St. Mary's Hospital, where Galvez said their conditions are unknown but are believed to be in non-life threatening condition.

The city health department also responded to the apartment complex, before clearing residents to return to the building. Fewer than 20 people were displaced at the time of the incident, Galvez said.