Don't Ask Don't Tell a thing of the past

A federal judge ordered the United States military to stop the enforcement of the controversial Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy Tuesday.

U.S. District Court Judge Virginia Phillips ruled that the policy ""infringes the fundamental rights of United States service members"" and violates both their First and Fifth Amendment rights.

The Log Cabin Republicans, a gay-rights group, first brought up this case when they sued the federal government in 2004 in an attempt to end the policy.

The injunction requires the military ""immediately to suspend and discontinue any investigation, or discharge, separation, or other proceeding, that may have been commenced under the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Act.""

Don't Ask, Don't Tell prohibits openly homosexual and bisexual people from serving in the armed forces and prevents the military from asking service members about their sexual orientation.

The House of Representatives voted to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell in late May by a vote of 234-194. However, despite a 56-43 vote Sept. 21, the Senate did not pass the bill that would have ended the policy due to a Republican-led filibuster.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell, enacted in 1993, resulted in the discharge of 10,000 military personnel in the last decade, according to a statement from the Log Cabin Republicans.

The LGBT Campus Center at UW-Madison was thrilled with the result of the ruling.

""This is a big step forward for LGBT people not being treated as second-class citizens by the government,"" Student Services specialist Aiden Caes said.

Fair Wisconsin, a LGBT-rights advocacy group, shared the enthusiasm.

""Fair Wisconsin is very excited about the landmark decision by the federal judge to strike down the discriminatory policy of Don't Ask, Don't Tell,"" Executive Director Katie Belanger said. ""We are looking forward to gay and lesbian members of the military being able to serve openly.""

Belanger also said she thinks the reversal of this policy will strengthen the country's military.

""In times of crisis, we need the strongest military possible,"" Belanger said. ""And by allowing gays and lesbians to serve in the military, it means that we are more prepared to defend our country.""