Committee approves Edgewater conditions

Madison's Landmark Commission unanimously approved three conditions for the Edgewater Hotel project Monday.

The three conditions must be met in order to receive final approval from Common Council of the planned unit development and conditional use, recording of the planned unit development and the issuance of permits of construction.

The committee members discussed the three conditions as separate issues.

The first condition approved concerns the renovation of the exterior of the Edgewater hotel tower. This condition must be in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior Standards for Rehabilitation to the extent possible as approved by the Landmarks Commission.

However there is an exception of applying these standards in regards to the front entry overhang, the proposed entrance at the southeastern cover of the building and the exception of the one-story clubhouse addition. The entrance will be constructed as originally designed.

The Secretary of the Interior Standards for Rehabilitation are guidelines used to determine whether the historic character of a building is preserved in the process of renovation.

The second condition was similar to the first condition, but included more detail including—but not limited to—window, door and material specifications.

The third condition concerned the design details and construction drawings for the new top floor, Rigadoon Room and front entrance element for the hotel tower must be submitted for review and approval by the Landmarks Commission.

Before the committee members voted, David Manfredi, an architect on the project, presented information including how they will deal with the overall renovation process such as the re-use of existing bricks.

The plan is to re-use as much of the existing brick as possible and to replace the brick as needed, Manfredi said. The bricks will be removed, cleaned and replaced during construction.

""We do not have enough replacement brick,"" Manfredi said.

Committee member Stuart Levitan said he thought the new entrance the architects' drafted looks better than the old entrance.

""I'm perfectly fine with the proposed new entrance,"" Levitan said.

Committee member Erica Fox Gehrig said she wants to fight to restore the entrance to how it was originally built.

""I'm still uncomfortable with the entrance,"" Fox Gehrig said.