'College Life' star and roomates face $86,000 in party fines

Gameday on Sept. 11, 2010 may have been a victorious win for the Wisconsin Badgers, but a dramatic loss for three UW-Madison students who face up to $86,000 in fines for allegedly distributing alcohol to minors.

Each defendant was cited with 21 counts of procuring alcohol to an underage person, one count of dispensing alcohol without a permit, and 21 counts of an adult encouraging underage alcohol consumption, according to the police report.

According to Mitchell Klatt, he and his roommates, Travis Ludy and former MTV ""College Life"" participant, Kevin Tracy, held a party with approximately 75-100 people that night.

However, the City of Madison Incident Report states there were an estimated 200 people in attendance when officers arrived at their home on 37 N. Brooks St around 11:30 p.m.

In total, the students face fines of an estimated $30,000 each, according to the police report.

Ald. Mike Veveer, District 4, said he believes the police are making an example of the students.

""They want the bust to have a deterrent effect,"" said Veveer. ""…The press coverage will probably discourage other students from having house parties.""

The Central District Community Police Team said big parties, like the one on N. Brooks, often lead to crimes such as sexual assault, battery and theft, according to the police report.

Klatt said the fines are excessive and unreasonable.

""To put three college kids in a hole like that is over the top,"" said Klatt.

With their court date approaching on Oct. 25, the students are in search of good representation in hopes of reducing the charges, according to Klatt.

Veveer said he anticipates the settlements will be smaller than the maximum penalty.

""Similar large parties over the year have yielded negotiated settlements that end up being much less fines then what the maximum penalty might be,"" said Veveer.