City representatives discuss Freakfest changes

Officials from the Madison Mayor's Office, the Madison Police Department and Frank Productions announced details Tuesday for this year's Freakfest celebration, scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 30.

Entrance and exit gates have been changed from last year to address local business and pedestrian concerns. Gilman Street will now have both entrance and exit points. The Johnson and Henry Street intersection will be a major entrance.

""The gating changes might relieve some of the pressure points we've had in the past,"" said Captain Mary Schauf of the Central Madison Police District.

According to Chris Klein, aide from the mayor's office, there will not be any stadium lights this year. He said they are being cut to lower costs because they were not used last year and are extremely expensive.

OK Go will be headlining on the main stage on Capitol Square while country bands, Little Big Town and Stealing Angels, will be playing on the Gilman Street stage. DJ Will Calder will be performing on the Frances Street stage.

""We are trying country this year, it's a little different, but it's Madison, Wisconsin,"" Dave Maynard of Frank Productions said. ""We've got two country radio stations, so some people must listen to [country music].""

Event organizers will continue the tradition of a costume contest with prizes donated by local businesses, including a pair of roundtrip tickets to London donated by STA Travel of State Street.

The number of arrests during Freakfest has significantly declined since the event became gated and ticketed three years ago, Mary Carbine, of Madison's Central Business Improvement District said. She said there have been great strides towards making Freakfest a fun event and downtown destination.

""Last year was so successful that there is very little change … the times are the same, the gate openings are the same, the ticket prices are the same."" Klein said.

Tickets are currently on sale and are the same price as last year, $7 dollars if purchased in advance, and $10 dollars if purchased on the day of the event.