Breaking the Buckeyes

stjean: Linebacker Culmer St. Jean and the rest of the Badgers' defense will look to shut down the potent Buckeye attack.

Breaking the Buckeyes

Since the summer, this is the game Wisconsin fans have had circled on their calenadrs. All the hype surrounding the matchup between the Wisconsin Badgers and the Ohio State Buckeyes will culminate this Saturday when the two teams meet under the lights at Camp Randall Stadium in front of a prime time audience on ESPN.

The Buckeyes come into this game fresh off receiving the number one ranking in the AP polls. The Badgers are 3-5 all time versus top ranked teams, with their last victory coming in a 21-14 defeat of No.1 Michigan in 1981.

""They are the number one team in the country, but it doesn't mean you're invincible,"" Wisconsin junior defensive end J.J. Watt said. ""It's a good opportunity to see what you're made of as a team, and we're all very excited for the challenge. It's going to be an unbelievable atmosphere and hopefully it will be one of the most memorable games in Camp Randall history.""

""We see this game as a huge opportunity,"" senior linebacker Culmer St. Jean said. ""A lot of teams want to play the best, and we have that opportunity so we want to go out there and show them what we're made of.""

Ohio State has dominated Wisconsin over the years, including last year's 31-13 loss in Columbus. The last time these two teams met at Camp Randall, Buckeye quarterback Terrelle Pryor led a last-minute touchdown drive to sink the Badgers.

Pryor is one of the most dynamic players in college football. He has the ability to beat defenses with his legs or his arm, which makes the Buckeye offense one of the most high-powered in the country.

So far this season Pryor has shown significant improvement in the passing game, throwing for almost 1,400 yards and 15 touchdowns through the season's first six games.

The Badger defense plans to put plenty of pressure on Pryor come Saturday night.  

""Number two is a good football player,"" Watt said. ""He can run and he can pass, so we need to get pressure on him. There isn't a big difference from quarterback to quarterback; if you are able to get pressure on them they are going to get rattled.""

""We have to contain Pryor,"" St. Jean said. ""We have to try and keep him from making big plays with his legs. He's got a good arm this year too, so we have to be able to stay on top of receivers. Not allowing big plays will be huge for us in containing their offense.""

Pryor is only a piece of the Buckeye offense, though. If you focus solely on him the plethora of playmakers for Ohio State will burn you. One of these players is running back Brandon Saine. Saine holds the record for the 100-meter dash in Ohio, and he uses that speed to make plays all over the field. In addition to running the ball, the Buckeyes also like to use Saine as a deep threat in the receiving game.

""He's a good player and can do a lot of different things,"" senior linebacker Blake Sorenson said about Saine. ""He can catch the ball deep, but also has a lot of speed running the ball. We've been preparing for that and we'll be ready for him.""

However, even if the Badgers are able to contain the Buckeyes' potent rushing attack, their talented receivers Dane Sanzenbacher and DeVier Posey can torch defensive secondaries. The two pass catchers have  combined for 11 touchdown receptions so far this season.

""Sanzenbacher is a great receiver,"" senior defensive back Jay Valai said. ""He's chippy, has great hands and is a great route runner. Posey snags on people on the goal line, and especially on the deep ball. We have to give them respect and learn their routes. They are a great football team and have a lot of weapons, but we're going to be excited to play them.""

With an offense as dynamic as Ohio State's, what is it going to take to shut them down and come away with the upset victory?

""We need to play our best game of the year,"" Sorenson said. ""We have to be lights out on defense. They are a great team and Pryor is a great quarterback. It is all going to start with containing Pryor. You have to be sound in every area. If you try to take away one thing they'll beat you with another thing. We have to play sound football and we'll be in business.""

""We know we can play with them,"" Valai said. ""They are Ohio State, they have the stars on the helmet, but we are confident in the guys we have here. They are the number one team in the nation, so you have to give them respect. But you can't fear them, don't fear the stars. We need to play aggressive and have pride in who we are.""