Baldwin, Lee debate foreign policy

U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., and Republican candidate Chad Lee debated foreign policy issues including funding for wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, foreign aid and immigration Saturday.

Lee said before the United States gives foreign aid to other countries it needs to pay off its own debts.  He said the focus should be on ""taking care of America first"" and creating an ""effective"" government.

Baldwin said foreign aid helps America because manufacturing products for other countries creates jobs and American citizens who go to other countries make money to be reinvested in the economy.

""The leadership role we can play with our foreign aid is amazing, and that tiny, tiny percent of our U.S. budget that goes to foreign aid pays us back richly,"" she said.

Lee said the United States needs to help Afghanistan to achieve economic and political stability and a clear education system, especially for women. He said Baldwin has not released a clear strategy in Afghanistan.

Baldwin said she voted to fund a defensive against those who ""aided and abetted in the 9/11 attacks,"" particularly the Al-Qaeda and Taliban. She said education for Afghani women in particular is not a primary focus, but instead poor education for women should be viewed as a worldwide issue.

Baldwin said the focus of immigration should be taken off border control. She said immigrants should be fined for coming into the United States, but offered a chance to remain in the country pending legal documentation.

Lee said there has been an increase in violence on the United States and Mexico border. He said the border should be secured, but legal immigration should be encouraged.

""If we can streamline the [legalization] process I don't think the problem will be as big as it was in the past,"" he said.

Lee said Baldwin does not have a bipartisan record in foreign policy and Americans need ""someone who is willing to work beyond the aisle.""

Baldwin said her travel experiences, stance on trade issues and opposition to the war in Iraq have made her an ""independent"" on foreign policy.

No further debates are scheduled between Lee and Baldwin.