Badgers split weekend series at Field House

The Wisconsin volleyball team (3-9 Big Ten, 14-9 overall) had a split weekend, as it shut out Michigan State (3-8 Big Ten, 11-11 overall) in three sets and fell to No. 15 Michigan (9-3 Big Ten, 20-4 overall) in four.

The Badgers came out strong in the first set against MSU, taking a 12-5 lead. The Spartans came storming back though on an 8-2 run to tie the set at 22. The teams battled back and forth with seven ties, until the Badgers were able to put it away with a kill from sophomore outside hitter Bailey Reshel and a block from sophomore middle blocker Alexis Mitchell to win 30-28. Reshel, who started on the left side had eight kills on the match.

""She's been working so hard, she's really worked her way into the lineup by what she's been doing in practices, and she's really quick off the floor, with a very fast arm,"" head coach Pete Waite said.

The second set started slowly for the Badgers, down 15-9. With the blocking force that the Badgers put up in the second set though, the team went on two runs to notch the 25-20 win. The Badgers used that momentum to come out strong in the third set and took an early 9-4 lead. Senior outside hitter Allison Wack really stepped it up in the last set,  contributing two serving aces. Junior middle blocker Elle Ohlander sealed the win with a kill, giving the Badgers a 25-16 set win.

Saturday night's match against the Michigan Wolverines was a tough loss for the Badgers. The Wolverines started out the first set strong, taking a 4-1 lead, but freshman right-side hitter Julie Mikaelsen led the Badgers to a set tie at 5-5. Mikaelsen recorded 11 kills and a .310 hitting percentage in a fantastic individual performance. The set was close, with 11 ties, but the Badgers couldn't close it out as they fell 25-20.

The second set started off just as the first set had, with three set ties early until Michigan pulled away with an 11-7 lead. A kill from Wack led the Badgers to a  20-20 tie, and another kill from freshman outside hitter Elise Walch put Wisconsin ahead. The Badgers couldn't hold on though, losing the set 25-22.

Wisconsin came back with renewed spirt, however, as the team started off the third set with a 5-2 run. Another kill from Wack and a block from the Walch/Ohlander duo got the Badgers at a set point. Junior setter Janelle Gabrielsen finished off the set with a solo block to take a 25-22 win. Gabrielsen, Ohlander and Mikaelsen each had a match-high five blocks.

The fourth set was all Wolverines though, taking a 15-5 lead. Wisconsin slowly pulled themselves back into the match though to get within four points at 20-16. The Badgers couldn't seem to close in anymore however, falling to the Wolverines 25-19.

Wack led the Badgers offensively in both matches, contributing double-digit kills for her fourth-straight match.  Mitchell also put up impressive numbers, with 10 kills and three blocks against MSU. The Badgers out-blocked the Spartans 7-3 in the match, something the team has struggled with so far this season.

Senior libero Kim Kuzma moved into third place all-time in program history for digs after the match against MSU, as she tallied 20 digs against the Spartans and 18 against the Wolverines. 

The Badgers face a tough task this week, hitting the road to take on No. 6 Illinois Wednesday and No. 24 Northwestern Saturday.