ASM, Student Progressive Dane compromise on event grant

ASM: ASM granted the Student Progressive Dane part of the money they applied for to bring a civil rights activist from Brazil to speak at UW.

Associated Students of Madison Student Council voted to grant the Student Progressive Dane only a portion of the $5,595 grant requested for a civil rights speaker at their general meeting Tuesday night.

The Student Progressive Dane asked for money to have constitutional lawyer and prominent civil rights activist Glenn Greenwald speak at an event on Nov. 3. Greenwald will speak on the War on Terror and its effect on civil liberties.

The Finance Committee approved this previously, but all of ASM is required to approve any grant for more than $5,000.

Of the $5,595 the Student Progressive Dane requested, $4,000 was to go towards honoraria, $1,437 was to cover travel expenses, and $158 was intended for lodging.

Student Progressive Dane said travel expenses are so high because Greenwald lives in Brazil. However, University Affairs Chair Carl Fergus thought the request was asking too much.

""I really think that $5,400 for one speaker is way too much money,"" he said.

Student Progressive Dane said Greenwald is the most highly regarded speaker on the topic of civil rights and it would be impossible to get another speaker with the event approaching so quickly.

As a compromise, ASM granted the Student Progressive Dane a total of $4,500. They said they would give $3,063 for honoraria instead of the entire requested amount.

Student Progressive Dane representative Harriet Rowan said she is happy with the outcome of the meeting.

""I'm fine with it. I feel bad that we couldn't clarify in the beginning that they could have lowered it below $5,000,"" said Rowan.