Architects present several design plans for new library

Architect Jeff Scherer and his team at Meyer, Scherer and Rockcastle held a schematic design meeting at the Madison Senior Center to unveil new progress and concepts for the Madison Public Library Thursday.

Scherer presented tentative plans for the new building, reminding community members that the library is a ""constant push and pull between money, quality and service.""

There have been concerns regarding the cost of the building, which is currently working within a budget of $29.5 million. Scherer stated he and his team is ""trying to balance what we can afford and what we would like.""

Although the plans are still in the early stages, Scherer said he was excited to start creating a final design.

""We're getting to the fun stuff,"" Scherer said. ""We're getting to see what the central library might look like.""

One of the topics addressed at the meeting was the future of the Aaron Bohrod mural currently located in the children's section.

""We have proposed that the mural stay virtually intact as you see it now. However, we will move the beginning piece to the lower level in an attempt open the building to windows and natural light,"" Scherer said.

Traci Lesneski, another architect in Scherer's firm said visitors ""should be able to appreciate the mural more than [they] do currently.""

One community member voiced his desire for the new library to blend with Overture Center, situated across the street.

""It would relate a lot more if we had four times more money, but the bottom line is that we will be fraternal, not identical twins,"" Scherer said.

Some community members said they wanted to see more creativity in the design considering the price to the city. Scherer said he and his team are ""pushing the envelope as hard as we can.""