Wisconsin set to take on SJSU in home opener

Scott Tolzien: Scott Tolzien, who went 15-20 with 197 yards last week against UNLV, will lead his Badgers against San Jose State University Saturday in the team?s home opener at Camp Randall Stadium.

After a week-one victory in the Nevada desert, the Badgers are back in Madison, set to open their home schedule with a matchup against the San Jose State Spartans.

While UW's three-pronged rushing attack dominated the Rebels defense to the tune of 278 yards and four touchdowns, there is still an immense amount of room for improvement on both sides of the ball.   

Offensively, the key for Wisconsin will be to avoid turning the ball over. An interception returned for a touchdown and an 82-yard fumble return deep into Wisconsin territory led directly to 14 points for the Rebels, a swing that could easily cost the team a win against stronger competition, and an issue that will be a focal point for senior quarterback Scott Tolzien.

""Every week you have to improve and it's no different from week one to week two,"" said Tolzien. ""Now its no excuse. Those turnovers you could say well, it's the first game, but it's week two now and we have to be better.""

Both turnovers came on passing plays, and head coach Bret Bielema said he would like to see the passing game establish a better rhythm this week. Tolzien, last year's Big Ten leader in passing efficiency, went 15-20 and threw for 197 yards last week, but failed to find the endzone and was unspectacular overall.

While offensive coordinator Paul Chryst may try to get Tolzien and the receivers in rhythm, the Spartan defense will undoubtedly get a heavy dose of junior running back John Clay and his two backfield mates, sophomore Montee Ball and freshman James White. San Jose State will be undersized compared to the UW offensive line, and coming off a physical matchup with defending national champion Alabama, it would be a surprise if Wisconsin does not wear down the Spartan front seven as the game progresses.

On the defensive side of the football, the Badgers dominated a week ago. After allowing 12 total yards in the first half, UW opened the second half by forcing a fumble and scoring when senior free safety Aaron Henry scooped up the ball and found himself all alone. This week, Henry said the he expects the same opportunistic style.

""If we can score on defense it's crucial, said Henry. ""We know our offense is great. We know they're going to put up points, but if we can put up points on defense, it's only going to help them in the long run.""

The Badgers will have one of their best playmakers from a year ago back on the field this week to compliment Henry and the other playmakers. Sophomore middle linebacker Mike Taylor is expected to see his first action since tearing his ACL last October. Taylor, who was leading the team in tackles at the time of his injury, made it through the practice week and said he is anxious to get back on the field.

""Obviously I had a pretty significant injury so I knew what it was going to be like, said Taylor. ""It feels good to finally be back out here.""

While Taylor will be back, it remains to be seen whether or not fellow sophomore linebacker Chiri Borland will play. He missed practice time this week with a shoulder problem and it has not yet been announced whether or not he will be in pads on Saturday.