Wisconsin deserves better in new Big Ten divisional alignments

Mark Bennett

Nuts and bolts. Nuts and bolts. Nuts and bolts. We got screwed

With last week's announcement of the new divisional alignments for the Big Ten conference beginning in 2011 when Nebraska joins the league, came much expected scrutiny.

Of course, with Michigan and Ohio State  split up between divisions, Buckeye and Wolverine fans were given plenty of fuel for their self-centered fires (on behalf of the other ten teams now in the Big Ten Conference, I would like to personally extend my apologies for thinking that any of the rest of us mattered in this discussion).

For Wisconsin, though, a first glance at the new alignments revealed two immediate topics of debate: the new divisional foes and the absence of Minnesota.

Purdue, Illinois and especially Indiana have been relatively pitiful in Big Ten competition as of late. So, at least for the foreseeable future, expect Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin to dominate any talk of division champions.

Although both the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions will present a tough path for Wisconsin to forge on their way to any championship, Badger fans should also be excited by the guarantee of playing these two programs every season.

Failure to find the Gophers in the same division as Bucky is reason for nothing but disappointment and confusion for the Wisconsin faithful, however.

Just days before the official announcement, Wisconsin Athletic Director Barry Alvarez expressed almost certain, factual optimism that Minnesota and Wisconsin would continue to play each year for Paul Bunyan's Ax from within the same division. After all, Oct 9 marks to 120th meeting between the two teams     — the longest running rivalry in college football.

Once people begin to look past the lore of Ohio State- Michigan, the Wisconsin- Minnesota rivalry is one of the most intriguing and history-steeped traditions in all of college sports.

But, you say, Ohio State and Michigan also suffered the merciless blade of divisional alignment. True, true. But the real issue Wisconsin can argue is the fact that the Badgers were left with no intra-divisional rivalries.

Michigan still has two other rivalries protected by the divisional split, Michigan State and Minnesota, while Ohio State retains one, Illinois. Meanwhile, Wisconsin is left to use their one ""protected rivalry game"" to save the annual matchup against Minnesota, while losing Iowa and the Heartland Trophy to occasional, staggered meetings.

Of the 13 official intra-conference rivalry games in the Big Ten, only six were preserved by the new divisional alignments. However, all but three teams retained at least one of their rivalries within their dvisions, with four teams keeping two. Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Penn State were all left in the dark with none.

A simple solution to the problem? Flip Illinois and Minnesota between the two new divisions. Northwestern and Illinois would then be able to retain their matchup for the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk without needing a ""protected rivalry,"" and Minnesota and Wisconsin could do the same. Wisconsin then would gain an additional, annual rivalry with Iowa as that protected game.

Of course, this plan is still not perfect, as Penn State is still left without an intra-divisional rivalry. To put things in perspective though, when Penn State, a member of the Big Ten for fewer than twenty years, and Michigan State first battled for the Land Grant Trophy in 1993, Minnesota and Wisconsin had already faced each other in 103 previous games.

This plan also would rob Ohio State of their only intra-divisional rivalry, the Illibuck trophy with Illinois.

From the beginning, Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany made it clear that no plan would be perfect, and certainly a simple flip of Minnesota and Illinois is likewise not a perfect option. It does, however, make the situation at least somewhat more fair across the board, and especially for the Badgers who were otherwise forgotten in the alignments.

Although completely surrounded by states with teams in the Big Ten Conference, Wisconsin shares a border with just one intra-division rival: Illinois.

Overall, the debate between geographical or winning percentage divisional distribution is really a toss-up. In twenty years, the oddity of these geographical alignments may leave some fans scratching their heads as suddenly five teams in one division are dominant, the plan drawn up by Delany should satisfy most people in the short-term.

Delany certainly had the best interest of the Big Ten in mind  throughout the entire process, with rivalries weighing heavily in the decision. And indeed, from an outsider's perspective, things look pretty good.

From a Badger's perspective though, Wisconsin got a raw deal.

Think the final alignment results really were the best possible option? Should ESPN be gagged from complaining about Michigan-Ohio State ever  again? E-mail your thoughts to Mark at mdbennett2@dailycardinal.com.