West Mifflin Street renovations continue to receive criticism from public

Proposed renovations to West Mifflin Street remain to be a primary topic of discussion at the Downtown Plan Public meeting Thursday.

The Mifflin Street area has been the most talked about out of any of the downtown areas, according to Principal Planner Bill Fruhling.

""There are some people that feel very strongly that [West Mifflin Street] is all junk and should be bulldozed and redeveloped into bigger buildings,"" Fruhling said. ""Some people feel very strongly that, because of this area's history ... it should be a historic district.""

The committee has struggled with this issue for some time, but feels this plan preserves the core of Mifflin Street, Fruhling said.

""Thanks to a lot of lobbying work that many of us did, including Associated Students of Madison and the neighborhood association, we are preserving the character in large part,"" Ald. Mike Verveer, District 2 said of the West Mifflin area.

Even though Verveer said he was generally pleased with the plans, he did express some disappointment as the plans call for tearing down more houses than he would like.

The current plans state the West Mifflin area would increase its net density from 32 units per acre to 53 units per acre.

Along with the conservation of approximately 130 buildings, the plans call for a new development of mid-rise apartments, townhouses and carriage-house buildings.

A proposed park on a block bounded by West Johnson, North Bassett, West Dayton and Marion Streets also faced some criticism at the meeting. The plans for the park include the removal of seven structures, not including the Doubletree Hotel on West Johnson Street.

However, the current site for the park may not be the best location since the property owners affected by the proposed park are not supportive of the plans as of Thursday's meeting, according to Verveer.

The next meeting to discuss the downtown plans will be on Oct. 7.

Additionally Ald. Michael Schumacher, District 18, made the decision to not run next spring for re-election after serving two terms.

""He's always been somebody that I've enjoyed working with,"" Verveer said.