Walker reveals plan for education reform

Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker, Republican gubernatorial candidate, unveiled his education plan Friday, calling for stricter evaluation of teachers and schools and more focus on literacy.

""By ensuring students are learning a year's worth of knowledge during each school year and giving schools the freedom to succeed, Wisconsin will once again become a model for the nation,"" Walker said in a statement.

His plan entails promoting literacy by barring entry into the fourth grade for children who cannot read. According to the National Assessment of Education Progress, 33 percent of fourth graders cannot read at a proficient level.

Walker also called for a grading system for both schools and teachers. Teachers are graded on a scale from ""exemplary"" to ""ineffective,"" and schools receive a grade on the A-F system.

""In every other profession, excellence is rewarded and teaching should be no different,"" the plan stated.

The concept of a grading system for schools was presented in June by Walker's rival for the Republican nomination, former congressman Mark Neumann.

""This appears to be a shorter, similar version of a comprehensive education reform plan that Mark released back in June, which stresses grading schools and teachers, and requiring students to measurably advance academically every year,"" said Chris Lato, Neumann's spokesperson.

The Democratic Party of Wisconsin was also critical of the plan, saying this is not a solid plan for education reform, ""but what is actually a lackluster collection of slogans and gimmicks meant to mask his plan to throw thousands of Wisconsin teachers out of jobs to fund his $1.8 billion tax cut for the richest one percent.""

Walker said through this plan, ""Wisconsin can again be a leader in educational excellence by refocusing on success in the classroom. Our students, our teachers, and our state's future depend on us taking this action.""