UW, still looking for first win, faces stiff competition in Pacific Northwest

kelter: Sophomore midfielder Alev Kelter will be a key returning player this year as the Badgers look to build on their Sweet 16 campaign.

Coming off a rough weekend in the Wisconsin Tournament, the women's soccer team (0-2-0) hopes to find some success when they travel to Seattle, Wash. this weekend to participate in the Husky/Nike Invitational. The Wisconsin women will face two tough opponents in the University of Portland (4-0-0) and the University of Washington (2-1-0).

Drawing the undefeated Portland on Friday night, the Badgers look to put the ball in the back of the net, something that has eluding them this season. Having failed to record a goal in their first two starts to the 2010 season, they were blanked by UCLA and Cincinnati. In those two matches, the Badgers were outshot 21-18 and 11-5, respectively, resulting in a pair of 1-0 final tallies.

Although the Badgers did not create as many chances as they allowed, better execution and one conversion here or there could have drastically altered either outcome.

Wisconsin will have to take advantage of their chances in order to keep up with Portland's lightning pace, which has been relentless so far this season. In four games, the Pilots have attempted 76 shots, put 36 on goal and have outscored opponents 6-1.

Key players to watch in this match for Portland include senior midfielder Keelin Winters and sophomore midfielder Sophie Schmidt, each recording one goal and two assists in four starts. The Badgers will also need to keep an eye on freshmen striker Micaela Capelle, who has not started a game this season, but has netted two goals off the bench.

After a day of rest, Wisconsin will then take the field against the University of Washington in an afternoon match on Sunday. Playing in front of Washington's home crowd, the Badgers will continue their quest for goals against a more evenly matched Husky squad. In three starts, all on the road, the Huskies have put up 45 shots, 20 on goal, and have scored four times. However, Washington's defense has allowed three goals on 33 attempts.

A big part of Washington's success so far has come from the efforts of senior midfielder Kellye Joswick, scoring a pair of goals in three starts. Also adding to the offense of Washington is senior striker McKenna Waitley, scoring  one goal and attempting 11 shots.

The Badgers will be looking for players to step forward this weekend and take control of the team as they search for their first victory of the season. One such player may be returning sophomore midfielder Alev Kelter. Last season Kelter finished second on the team in shots with 52, and should continue to be a strong presence offensively this year.  

Another player to watch is the emerging freshmen midfielder Kodee Williams. Williams brings a considerable amount of international experience to the field, having competed with the U-15 and U-16 Canadian National Teams, and having been in the pool for the U-20 Canadian National Team in 2009.

The Badgers have to deal with a long road trip to the West Coast this weekend, but if they can start capitalizing on the chances they create, it could be a fruitful weekend.