UW-Madison ranked nationally, globally

U.S. corporate recruiters said public universities are more popular with recruiters than Ivy League or other private schools since the public university graduates are ""among the most prepared and well-rounded academically,"" according to a recent Wall Street Journal survey.

UW-Madison ranked 16th in the survey out of 25 schools where companies said they are focusing the majority of their recruitment. Nineteen of the 25 schools ranked were public universities.

The U.S. News and World report's 2011 edition ranked UW-Madison 13th among public universities.

However, the university dropped from 39th to 45th overall, and from 9th to 13th in public school rnakings from 2009 to 2010.

The Washington Monthly ranked the school 23rd this year and Parade magazine included it in the its ""College A-List.""

UW-Madison ranked 17th among universities worldwide by Shanghai's Jiao Tong University based on criteria such as number of Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals received by faculty and research success.

In addition, UW-Madison ranked 25th last week among the most desirable large schools based on criteria such as, admissions, test scores, endowment, student-to-faculty ration, climate and quality of facilities in the Kaplan/Newsweek ""Finding the Right College for You"" guide.

Poets and Writers Magazine, the nation's largest nonprofit organization serving creative writers, ranked UW-Madison's master of fine arts program third in the U.S. in addition to ranking the poetry program second and the fiction program third.

—Kayla Johnson