UW extends shutout streak to six games with tie and victory

Michele Dalton: Keeper Michele Dalton has not allowed a score in her last five matches in goal. On the season, the senior has saved 37 shots while allowing just three goals, good enough for a .925 save percentage.

The Badgers' women's soccer team opened up Big Ten play on the road this weekend and continued their run of defensive dominance to earn a tie against Purdue Friday night and a 1-0 win over Indiana Sunday.

Wisconsin (4-3-3, 1-0-1 Big Ten) ran its streak of shutouts to six games and has not allowed a goal since Sept. 5. The six-game streak is the longest in the program since UW matched it on two separate occasions in 1991.

Friday night in West Lafayette, Ind., the Badgers generated scoring chances early and outshot the Boilermakers 12-10, but could not capitalize on the opportunities. Sophomore midfielder Alev Kelter led the Badgers with five shots—three of which were on frame—and had a chance to win the game late, but saw a shot go just high. Senior captain and forward Laurie Nosbusch, who leads the team so far with three goals, also contributed two shots.

The play of senior goaltender Michele Dalton and the rest of Wisconsin's defense saved the day. Dalton stopped all three shots on goal from the Boilermakers and turned in her fourth consecutive shutout.

Dalton turned in another clean sheet on Sunday in Bloomington, Ind., as the Badgers used a goal in extra time to earn a 1-0 victory.

This time, it took Dalton five saves to keep the Hoosiers off the board. The Badgers matched Indiana with five shots on frame, but managed to sneak one by Hoosiers goaltender Shannon Flower in the 91st minute. The goal came from sophomore midfielder Monica Lam-Feist and was assisted by junior Lauren Cochlin, who crossed the ball into the box. The goal capped off a productive night for Lam-Feist, who led the team with three shots on goal. It was her first goal of the season and just the second of her career.

Again, Dalton and the defense made sure that a single goal would hold up. The Badgers allowed just four shots—two on goal—in the second half and overtime en route to the shutout.

Dalton recorded her fifth consecutive shutout against the Hoosiers and bolstered her already impressive stat line for the season. She has allowed just three goals in eight starts, which translates to a miniscule .35 goals per game and has stopped 92.5 percent (34-37) shots on goal.

The wins also continued a trend of success on the road for Wisconsin. The Badgers remained unbeaten away from Madison, improving their road record to 3-0-2.  

""I think that every environment poses a challenge, and to not give up a goal and get a win this weekend gives us confidence heading into the rest of the season."" head coach Paula Wilkins said.

—uwbadgers.com contributed to this report.