Student Judiciary Committee, ASM head in new direction

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council initiated its fall legislative session yesterday by passing reforms to the Student Judiciary.

The judicial branch of student government hears appeals and makes rulings on controversial and disputed ASM committee decisions.

The Student Judiciary has gained a negative reputation among many council members for lack of attendance at council meetings and a general lack of knowledge of judicial procedures.

However, the judiciary hopes to change its negative image under newly elected Chief Justice Kathryn Fifield.

At Wednesday night's meeting, Fifeld attempted to show her early commitment to revitalizing the sometimes controversial judiciary by proposing and successfully increasing the term limits of the justices in the ASM constitution from two years to four years and apologizing for the court's past.

""S.J. is a new body now, and we are going to be operating by much stricter ethical and professional standards than we have been in many, many years,"" Fifield said.

Initially, the proposed constitutional amendment faced scrutiny from certain members of the council who believed it might impede access from other students wishing to join and hinder the removal of an unsatisfactory justice.

Eventually, the concerns were addressed and the amendment passed without any opposition.

Fifield also promised to hire an outreach consultant within two weeks to help student groups and non-committee members navigate the complicated terrain of ASM bylaws.

Fifield said the consultant is important because outsiders are typically disadvantaged when fighting cases against ASM members who are often more knowledgeable.

""The scales are tipped very far in ASM's direction. [Council members] know what's going on—we've been here, we know the rules, we know the procedures and we've had time to figure them out,"" Fifield said. ""Student groups, ASM members, they don't have that kind of time, nor should they have that responsibility.""

Chancellor Biddy Martin addressed the council about her vision of UW-Madison being more independent from the state in decision-making and applauded council members for their commitment to the student body.

Chair Brandon Williams also made a presentation about the new direction in which he hopes to take the Council.

Williams plans to revitalize the ASM diversity committee and change the internal budget process, among other initiatives.