'Sexting' claims fail to bring DA Kratz's removal

Calumet County District Attorney Kenneth Kratz has no intention of resigning after he sent sexual text messages to a 26-year-old woman.

Kratz prosecuted the woman's ex-boyfriend.

According to police, domestic abuse victim Stephanie Van Groll said Kratz repeatedly sent her unwanted text messages after she met with him about her case on Oct. 20, 2009.  She said she received 30 messages from Kratz over a three-day span.

In one of the texts, 50-year-old Kratz asked Van Groll if she were ""the kind of girl that likes secret contact with an older married elected DA ... the riskier the better?""

Kratz asked in another message if Van Groll would engage in an affair with him.

""I would not expect you to be the other woman,"" Kratz said in one of the messages. ""I would want you to be so hot and treat me so well that you'd be THE woman! R U that good?"" Kratz said.

According to the Associated Press, Kratz and his wife filed for divorce in December.

Van Groll told police she was afraid Kratz would throw out the lawsuit against her ex-boyfriend if she told him to stop texting her, police said.

Kratz dismissed himself from the case when he learned Van Groll's statement to Kaukauna police had been shown to the Wisconsin Department of Justice, a release from Kratz said.

According to the Associated Press, Van Groll said Kratz will not face charges because the Department of Justice did not think it was a criminal offense.

According to court records, a state prosecutor was appointed to the lawsuit and Van Groll's ex-boyfriend was convicted of domestic violence in April.

Kratz stepped down from his post as chair on the Wisconsin Crime Victims Rights Board, an organization he had helped found, in December 2009 as what he called a ""self-imposed sanction.""

""Having served in a leadership capacity regarding victims rights … I was embarrassed at this lapse of judgment,"" Kratz said in a statement.

Patti Seger, executive director of the Wisconsin Coalition Against Domestic Violence, said the text messages sent by Kratz show he tried to use his prominence as a well-known district attorney against Van Groll.

""Kratz created a situation in which a victim he was entrusted to protect was led to believe she could only get help if she submitted to his advances,"" Seger said.

Kratz faces re-election in November 2012.