Rep. Spencer Black supports Hulsey

Brett Hulsey: Dane County Supervisor and 77th Assembly District Representative candidate Brett Hulsey received support from outgoing Representative Spencer Black Tuesday.

Rep. Spencer Black supports Hulsey

State Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, a champion for environmental issues in the state Legislature who will not run for re-election, announced Tuesday his support for Democratic candidate Dane County Supervisor Brett Hulsey to fill his seat.

""It is my intention to vote for Brett Hulsey for Representative from the 77th Assembly District,"" Black said in a statement. ""During his 12 years on the Dane County Board of Supervisors, Brett Hulsey has established a good record with regard to keeping in touch with his constituents.""

If he takes over Black's district, Hulsey's new constituents will include most of the student body.

Hulsey said he was very pleased to receive Black's backing, and that Black has been a good resource throughout the campaign.

Because of their previous work together on environmental policy, Hulsey said he was hopeful all along that he would receive Black's endorsement.

Ben Manski, the Green Party candidate, said he was not surprised Hulsey got Black's endorsement, but only because Black is ""doing what he feels his duty is to his party.""

Manski, who was endorsed by prominent Wisconsin progressive Democrat Ed Garvey, noted that the word ""endorsement"" does not appear in Black's statement, and that it was issued the day of President Barack Obama's visit.

""If there had been a desire for this to be a ringing endorsement, that would not be when you'd issue that statement,"" Manski said.

However, Hulsey said he is grateful for receiving the support of a politician he admires.

""He's been an icon and hero of mine for the last 25 years,"" Hulsey said.