Proposed rail station presented to Urban Design

Madison's Urban Design Commission held a special informational meeting about the proposed high-speed rail station Wednesday.

Carrie Cooper of the Division of Transportation System Development presented a tentative blueprint for the Wisconsin High-Speed Intercity Passenger Rail Station.

""Our vision is to connect to the Chicago hub network,"" Cooper said. ""Once these pieces are put in place, that connection will be able to get us anywhere in the Midwest.""

Community member and Downtown Madison Inc. employee Susan Schmitz expressed her support for the project along with her concern for the accessibility of the building for other modes of transportation.

""We are very excited about the high-speed rail and the station,"" Schmitz said. ""However, we want this building to be multi-modal; pedestrians, buses and bikes.""

Greg Uhen of Eppstein Uhen Architects commented on the prematurity of his firm's plans.

""It's important to note we're in early concept. We have not established a final design,"" Uhen said. ""We are refining our ideas as we move forward.""

Additionally, the committee discussed the initiative to preserve the view of the lake.

""The big thing is to recognize that people are going to be waiting there and should be able to experience the train station as well as the lake. I'm concerned about the view being lost,"" committee member Todd Barnett said.

Committee member Melissa Huggins said she was disappointed in the building's overall design and called the design very plain.

""There is a sense of place in older train stations—they are unique,"" Huggins said.

Committee member Mark Smith also said he was concerned about the structure and feel of the building.

""We need to have a little bit of Grand Central Station here,"" Smith said. ""The station needs to take prominence here. If it's half-baked it's going to flop.""

Chairperson Richard Wagner said the committee is looking forward to the design as it develops.