Primate research ethics discussion will not continue in County Board

The Dane County Board of Supervisors ruled against bringing the discussion of UW-Madison's primate research onto the floor Thursday night, providing a blow to advocates on both sides of the debate.

""They expect that we have some authority to do something about this,"" Supervisor Mike Willett said of those calling for action on the issue. ""We don't.""

Although the motion was voted down by the board, several supervisors spoke out in support of allowing the debate to commence.

""I have constituents who feel very strongly … and I know people feel very strongly on the other side,"" said Supervisor Kyle Richmond. ""That's precisely why we should debate it on the floor. It shouldn't be bottled up.""

However, Supervisor Brett Hulsey, the recently elected 77th district assembly democratic nominee, said this issue was not one in the county's power to control.

Hulsey said university matters are best left to the Legislature. ""In the future I may have a little more say about how things go on in certain state institutions like the UW.""

Although Supervisor John Hendrick said the people needed a forum to speak, he also addressed the ethical complications of primate research.

""Admittedly, having had three teenagers, I wish there were a cure for puberty,"" Hendrick said. ""But I don't think that was the point of that research.""

Ariel Shapiro