Passive Passing Attack

After last year's record of 10-3 in his   first season starting, senior quarterback Scott Tolzien looked poised to have a breakout year behind center. However, a slow start with turnover troubles, mental misques and an injured receiving corps has fans and opponents alike wondering if Tolzien and the Badger passing game will ever reach its full potential.

For most who follow the No. 11 Wisconsin Badgers, the oh-so-promising 2010-2011 season starts this Saturday at 2:30 p.m. when the undefeated Arizona State Sun Devils stroll into the historic Camp Randall Stadium.

The Badger's high seed has yet to be validated, but will likely be put to the test in the only meeting between these two teams since Wisconsin was handed consecutive losses in the 1967 and 1968 seasons. The Badgers' defense, especially their secondary, will be challenged by a Sun Devil offense that has posted over 1,000 yards, 705 through the air, inits first two games. However, all eyes will be on the arm of high-regarded quarterback Scott Tolzien.

Last year, during his junior season, Tolzien was solid but not spectacular. He didn't need to be spectacular with the Big 10 offensive player of the year, junior running back John Clay, bulldozing over would-be tacklers behind a gargantuan offensive line.

Yet, this year there are expectations. This year there is pressure. This year, there is an eleventh seed to uphold. 10-3 just might not cut it for a Badger team stacked with talent unseen since the Ron Dayne era. Tolzien will need to do more than simply top the Big Ten in passer rating and yards per attempt. He will need to perform under the intensely focused limelight of primetime, which means cutting down on costly turnovers. He must be a leader who teammates can look to for a big play when the time comes.

In Tolzien's first two games this season, he hasn't looked very much like the leader he must soon become. He's gone for under 200 yards in each of the first two games, while tallying two interceptions and just one touchdown. These numbers are against last year's 115th and 109th ranked defenses in all of college football.

""There are so many different things from the first two weeks that we can improve upon,"" Tolzien said. ""First and foremost, we need to take care of the ball. Those are money situations down there [in the redzone]. It's a smaller field and smaller windows and really just plain and simple you have to execute.""

How will he fare then against an Arizona State defense that ranked 13th in the nation and tops in the Pac-10 last year and is led by  sophomore first team preseason all pac-ten linebacker Vontaze Burfict?

""They're definitely the best defense we've faced thus far. They have a lot of talent and they're well-coached,"" Tolzien said.

More importantly, how will Tolzien perform when backed up against the in-conference foes of No. 2 Ohio State and No. 9 Iowa, against which he had an abysmal five picks and no scores combined last year?

The burden of whether or not the Wisconsin passing game will crumble does not entirely rest on the shoulders of Tolzien alone. He needs help through solid pass protection and sure-handed receiving. The hyped offensive line, loaded with one first-team and two second-team all Big-Ten blockers, has underperformed in its pass protection duties thus far by giving up four sacks.

As far as receivers go, with junior wide receiver Nick Toon questionable for this Saturday and senior wide receiver David Gilreath still suffering from a lingering concussion, the Badgers will rely on unproven contributors.

""Physically I can't go right now… As soon as I'm physically able to go out and play I'll do so,"" Toon said. ""Obviously, we have to work with what we have and I think we'll be fine but obviously when the guys that Scott has spent the majority of the time working with aren't out there, it makes it difficult.""

Freshman wide receiver Jared Abbrederis will likely have to improve on his five catch, fifty-eight yard effort last week.

""His confidence is high or he wouldn't be in the position that he's in,"" said wide receiver coach DelVaughn Alexander. ""He's not just an over-achiever or just a hard worker, he's got some skill and talent too.""

With inexperience on the field being a guarantee Saturday, proven senior tight end Lance Kendricks will willingly fill the void at receiver.

""Definitely [I expect] a heavier workload having our two top receivers out, but I'm not worried about it,"" Kendricks said. ""I like being the primary receiver when I can be.""

It's true that the Badgers will continue to run the ball frequently with freshman James White, sophomore Montee Ball and of course junior John Clay. The three backs have totaled a joint effort of 490 yards on the ground.

However, Tolzien will have to show a calm and poise that he hasn't exhibited.

""In practice he shows a lot more poise than he has thus far. He's yet to get to where his potential is. I think he'll get there soon,"" Kendricks said.

The question is: how soon will this poise be found in game situations, and if it isn't soon, by that time will it be too late for the Badger's to salvage their season?