Nzegwu, Kendricks receive high praises

Lance Kendricks

Nzegwu, Kendricks receive high praises

Head coach Bret Bielema discussed some of the key performers in Saturday's win over Arizona State, as well as the Badgers' upcoming game against Austin Peay in his weekly press conference on Monday.

Bielema began the press conference by offering some compassion to a rival.  Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio is recovering in Lansing's Sparrow Hospital after suffering a mild heart attack early Sunday morning. Bielema stated that the hearts and thoughts of both he and his staff go out to Dantonio.

Bielema then focused back on his own team and its performance Saturday afternoon.

""Sunday's film was an enjoyable and educational film to watch.  The things we believe in and preach here came through big time,"" Bielema said. ""From an offensive standpoint, it wasn't pretty all the way through, but as the game wore on you could definitely see a change in the way their defensive players reacted.""

Bielema has  had high praise recently for senior tight end Lance Kendricks. The coach said that Kendricks was ""off the charts.""  The Badgers offensive MVP had seven catches for 131 yards and a touchdown against Arizona State. Kendrick's statistics, however, were not the only thing impressing Bielema. The coach said that Kendricks is ""making a difference in the run game,"" and that he is ""really jumping out on film.""

Junior defensive end Louis Nzegwu also received a good report from his coach.  Nzegwu had seven total tackles and a sack in Saturday's victory.  

""[He] had a big game,"" Bielema said. ""[He is] beginning to understand the details of playing defensive end.""

The special teams MVP from Saturday was handed out to senior safety Jay Valai. Valai blocked the game tying extra point—a huge play that would ultimately seal the Badgers' win.  It was not just on special teams that Valai impressed his coach though.  Bielema said that Saturday's game was Valai's ""best defensive game.""

The Badgers will now turn their attention to the Austin Peay Governors, an FCS team.  Austin Peay comes in at 2-1, with wins over Cumberland University and Tennessee State.  In the Govenors' latest victory, red-shirt sophomore quarterback Jake Ryan went 13-21 for 178 yards and a touchdown, while junior running back Ryan White rushed the ball 17 times for 112 yards and a touchdown. Sophomore kicker Stephen Stansell made four field goals, the longest from 50 yards.

In response to a question about whether or not the Badgers will take this FCS team seriously, Bielema emphasized that he believes the gap between BCS and FCS has tightened recently and that one has to take these games seriously. Bielema knows his team is definitely taking the preparation seriously for this weekend's game against Austin Peay.

The Badgers hopefully will learn from the mistakes made by other BCS teams this year. Austin Peay comes from the same conference as Jacksonville State, a team that beat SEC powerhouse Ole Miss in a game earlier this year.