New high-speed rail details emerge from City Hall

An update on the proposed Madison High Speed Rail Station was given Tuesday before the Common Council meeting.

Chris Klein, assistant to Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, focused on updates on specific areas of the high-speed rail station.

Klein said the current proposed cost estimate of only the station part of the high-speed rail plan is estimated as being between $11.5-12.5 million.

The proposed glass station building will include ticket kiosks, bathrooms and more. Since having public input there has also been an updated canopy design.

The proposed train would have an engine and 14-15 cars, Klein said.

Passengers are able to board on either side depending on what side the train comes in on according to current designs.

There are alternatives still on the table as they are ""refining recommendations,"" Klein said.

""The overall design of station, including canopy, is still a piece of the puzzle they [Department of Transportation] are taking public input on,"" Klein said.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, asked a question concerning how many train tracks there would be at the station.

The Department of Transportation thought of plans for a potential three tracks, but decided on two tracks according to Klein.

The topic of duel engine cars was brought up by Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8. The trains will have a locomotive on each end or a miniature locomotive, also called a pull car, according to Klein.

Chris Petykowski, of city engineering, also spoke on the proposed high-speed rail plans.

Petykowski spoke of the diagnostic team that comprises of the more technical aspect of the project from DOT. The team works on issues such as safety, fences and warning devices.

The update on the high-speed rail station also corresponded with Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announcing his 2011 Executive Capital Budget.

The proposed budget includes $36.4 million revolving around the high-speed rail station according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

Included in these funds are a public market and the rebuilding of the Government East parking garage among others.

A future public meeting is projected to occur sometime in October concerning the station plans according to Petykowski.