New director in at UW primate center

Former Northwestern University researcher, professor and neurophysiologist Jon Levine assumed the position of Wisconsin National Primate Research Director this month.

The Wisconsin National Primate Research Center is based in UW-Madison's graduate school and is one of eight federally supported primate research centers. More than 250 scientists conduct research at the center.

Levine said he took the role because he sees it as a very high-impact position.

""It gives me an opportunity to accomplish some big objectives,"" Levine said, ""particularly the great potential to develop new avenues of biomedical research and to enrich and advance existing ones in areas that I feel are very important to human and animal health.""

The U.S. Department of Agriculture issued UW-Madison 20 citations for sanitation, ventilation and enclosure violations at research centers in December 2009.

The department later dismissed the violations, but it still sparked controversy and debates about the ethics of primate research in the community.

Assuming the position as director in the wake of the controversy, Levine defends humane primate research as a vital research resource since primates model human conditions in ways other research animals do not.

""It is very clear that nonhuman primates offer a very valuable and precious research tool to advance our understanding of human and animal health and disease,"" Levine said.

Levine said he understands there are people who ethically oppose primate research. However, he believes it is an ethical obligation to try to understand the roots of human disorders in an attempt to improve the human and animal condition while strictly adhering to the National Institutes of Health guidelines for animal research.

Levine wants to team with the Research Animal Resource Center to write a book about humane primate research policies and practices.

""The primate center has in fact practiced the care and use of research primates at the level that can be emulated by all facilities that utilize nonhuman primates,"" Levine said. ""I think to attempt to make available this gold standard and to continually enrich the document is something that would really benefit the research community.""

Levine plans to enhance existing research units and to create new units in areas such as diabetes and metabolism, neurodegenerative diseases and disorders of growth and development.

Dean of the UW-Madison graduate school Martin Cadwallader said Levine is an excellent new addition to the faculty.

""He brings a vision, a history of accomplishment and the kind of positive energy required to lead such a dynamic and important organization,"" Cadwallader said in a statement.