Mayor: keep student issues a priority

While Mayor Dave Cieslewicz has championed many student issues, there are many policies that must be upheld to continue to value student needs.

We've consistently been pleased with Mayor Dave Cieslewicz's support for innovative public transportation projects and safety initiatives that assist students.

His strong commitment to providing safe and convenient routes for bikers and his dedication to expanding the Madison Metro Bus System undoubtedly benefits thousands of commuter students and greatly strengthens Madison's public transportation infrastructure.

However, as Cieslewicz enters the final months of his second term and attempts to balance his political interests with those of his constituents, he may face an uphill battle when it comes to making progress on issues students care about most.

Keeping downtown Madison safe for students should be one of the city's top priorities. However, according to Cieslewicz, the Common Council would consider making cuts to public safety programs that affect students in its next operating budget. As one way to tighten the city's budget belt, Cieslewicz has suggested scaling back his $100,000 Downtown Safety Initiative, which increases the police presence downtown and maintains a targeted camera surveillance system. The initiative has been tremendously successful, with the number of bike theft reports decreasing in recent years and the number of incidents caught on tape on the rise. It seems obvious that fully funding this historically successful program is the best way to maintain a high-level of security across the city.

Cieslewicz should make creation and maintenance of professional jobs for recent graduates a bigger agenda item. Attracting more professional, private sector companies to the Madison metro area is one way to do this. This year, new employment opportunities in Madison will likely come in the form of construction jobs rather than professional jobs for recent grads. Cieslewicz has openly made repairing streets and building projects like the Edgewater Hotel his priorities, and though these projects are necessary investments that will help reinvigorate the economy and provide trade workers with jobs, they won't create much employment for students.

Despite looming budget cuts and bleak job prospects, Cieslewicz is taking the lead in a plan to incorporate the Madison Metro Bus System into the Regional Transit Authority by the end of 2011. The plan would give students more mobility within the city and increased access to surrounding municipalities. Additionally, Cieslewicz has consistently shown support for bringing a commuter rail to the Madison area, which would give students an alternative way to get around Wisconsin and to other major Midwest cities.

It is important to remember students comprise less than one-fifth of the total population of Madison, and out of those students, very ever register to vote. Considering these figures, Cieslewicz does give the student voice a fair amount of time, attention and respect. Some Madison residents view students as a nuisance that show up to party for nine months out of the year and often dismiss student interests. However, Cieslewicz usually strikes a balance between our needs and the needs of the rest of the Madison community and for that we appreciate his efforts in office.