Keep stem-cell research funds suspended

Caitlin Kirihara

Keep stem-cell research funds suspended

If my parents thought it was hard to keep track of my major, they should try keeping tabs on the availability of embryonic stem-cell research funding.

About a month ago, a federal judge in opposition of the Dickey-Wicker Amendment put an injunction on President Obama's executive order, which opened embryonic stem cell research to federal funds. The amendment prevents federal funding for any research creating or destroying a human embryo. And now, that injunction was put on hold for further review.

Because of this, federal funds can temporarily go toward human embryonic stem-cell research. This research studies cells that, when in the correct biological conditions, can turn into a variety of different cells. For that reason, many scientists believe they can eventually lead to cures for Parkinson's disease, diabetes and many other life-threatening illnesses.

While the new ruling gave a glimmer of hope to researchers, the fact that the amendment still stands is reason enough to stop scientists in their tracks. Until the Dickey Amendment is repealed, allowing human embryonic stem-cell research funding is breaking the law. Because of this, it is important that government financing of stem-cell research remains in suspension until proper legislation is created. Any legislation will take precedence over an executive order. This fact was the basis for the lawsuit that, for a short while, halted embryonic stem-cell testing.

After the lawsuit upholding the Dickey-Wicker Amendment was presented, a slew of governments, including

Wisconsin, fought back with lawsuits in favor of maintaining funding. There is little chance that, without a repeal of the Dickey Amendment, funding for human embryonic stem-cell research can continue. The pursuit of federal funding should not be taken through lawyers and lawsuits, but through legislation. And ultimately, these lawsuits will be unsuccessful and a waste of taxpayer money.

Because the ban regards funding rather than research, it can be argued that the federal government does not have constitutional duty to finance scientific research. Therefore, the Dickey-Wicker Amendment should be upheld in court.

That is not to say the intentions of the administration were not noble. Stem-cell research is one of the most promising fields in terms of slowing human suffering due to disease.

The lack of federal funding doesn't change that. And while private and state funding is available for embryonic stem-cell research, the money available is nowhere near enough.

Knowledge gained from stem-cell research will lead to life-changing therapies, but that fact cannot be an excuse for administration and school officials to ignore legislation.

If the majority of America supports creation of human embryos for research, then let legislation prove it. Because President Obama has already shown solace for this type of research, Congress would have no trouble repealing the amendment and taking all questions of legality out of the mix.

If funding for human embryonic stem-cell research is allowed to continue while the Dikcey-Wicker Amendment is still the law of the land, a dangerous precedent could be set. A president should not be able to change legislation without the help of Congress.

If Obama wants to make a positive contribution to stem cell research, he should ask Congress for legislation to repeal the Dickey-Wicker Amendment instead of calling for challenges to the injunction. Allowing Obama's executive order to stand is an affront to the powers of congress and to the Constitution, no matter how well intentioned. A president does not, and should not, have the power to unilaterally change previous legislation. By fighting the lawsuit that asserted the powers of Congress and overturned Obama's executive order, states, like Wisconsin, demonstrate that funding is more important than following the Constitution.

Instead, they should be getting out of the courts and into the drafting room to right solid legislation that allows for the safe, ethical and responsible use of embryos in stem-cell research.

Matt Beaty is a sophomore majoring in math and computer science. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.