Defense shines in Sin City showdown

Aaron Henry: Aaron Henry (center), led his defensive teammates in stifling the UNLV offense Saturday night in the Badger?s season opening victory.

Defense shines in Sin City showdown

LAS VEGAS—The Badger offense garnered most of the offseason press, and with ten starters returning from the Big Ten's most prolific attack, it was most likely deserved. After Saturday, though, it may be time to share some of that hype with the guys on the other side of the ball.

Wisconsin almost completely shut down the UNLV attack in the first half, but the team needed more as it held just a three-point edge. The defense delivered more with a turnover and score on the opening series of the second half that ignited a runaway victory.

""Our main focus was coming out of halftime, we need a turnover, and we need to give our offense a short field so they can score,"" junior safety Aaron Henry said. ""If we get them the ball inside the 50 or inside the 40 they definitely can do some damage and I think that turnover was crucial in setting them up for the rest of the game.""

On the third play of the second half, junior defensive end J.J. Watt hit UNLV's receiver, Michael Johnson, from behind, jarring the ball free. Henry, in his first start at the safety position, scooped up the ball and went 20 yards to put his team ahead by 10 points.

""I was chasing down the running back at first, but then when I saw the throw went outside and then I retreated outside and got lucky, I guess,"" Watt said. ""I didn't even know I stripped the ball, I was just going for the tackle and all of a sudden I saw Aaron in the endzone.""

Watt finished with three pass breakups and four tackles to go along with his momentum-shifting play. UNLV gained just four yards on their next two drives, and the Badgers rolled to two more scores.

But it was the first half where Wisconsin's defense really shined.

The Rebels only managed 12 yards on 15 plays, and their only offensive score, a 16-yard TD pass, was set up by an 82-yard fumble return. Much of the credit went to the Badger defensive line that sacked junior quarterback Mike Clausen three times and held UNLV to -9 yards on the ground.

""The pass rush was great. My job was easy tonight,"" senior safety Jay Valai said. ""When we have a front seven like that playing great football like that, it's a blessing being back there ... You have a great front seven like that, it's an easy game.""

That D-line also had to show off its depth as the coaches frequently rotated the players in the oppressive Las Vegas heat.

""I know [defensive line coach] Charlie [Partridge] rolled all those guys through there,"" UW head coach Bret Bielema said. ""I thought to get [Tyler] Dippel and [Pat] Muldoon in there as well to get reps with Louis [Nzegwu] and David [Gilbert] and J.J. Watt. That's a five-man rotation at both inside and outside.""

With over eight minutes left in the third quarter,UNLV still had only amassed 16 yards and two plays longer than three yards. The rebel offense finally started moving the ball in the final 17 minutes, but much of that was done against Wisconsin's reserves.

When it was all finished, any talk of the offense carrying the defense was firmly laid to rest.

""We don't want to be, I guess, the downfall of the team,"" Valai said. ""So I think it's good that we came out here, responded and played good football.""

""The first half was real good for us,"" Watt added. ""A couple blemishes in the second half, but overall the defense is proud of our performance.""