Cieslewicz presents Capital Budget to public

mayor dave: Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced his Executive Capital Budget Tuesday. The high-speed rail station made an impact on the budget.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz introduced the 2011 Executive Capital Budget to the public Tuesday.

The proposed capital budget for 2011 is $238 million with $88.7 million in borrowing.

The $88.7 million in borrowing is greater than the approximate $84 million that was in the approved capital budget for 2010.

The mayor is proposing to spend $25.7 million in parking utility. These funds would go towards the new underground parking garage, which would be located below the Madison Municipal Building site, Pinckney Street and the market according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

Cieslewicz is proposing to spend $250,000 on a public market. The public market would replace the Government East garage at East Wilson and South Pinckney Streets.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said it's a big deal that there's a fair amount of money proposed for the new high-speed rail station as well as the public market or parking garage.

""What remains to be seen is how much the federal government will pay for and so there are certainly tons of questions relating to the exact cost and funding sources of all the activity we hope to accomplish in conjunction with the new Amtrak station,"" said Verveer.

""This budget includes over $34 million in G.O. borrowing for reconstruction, expansion and resurfacing of major streets in need of repair throughout the city,"" Cieslewicz said in a statement.

County Road M, Hwy 113 and Williamson Street are some of the major streets outlined by Cieslewicz.

Verveer said he agrees with the mayor's prioritization of street reconstruction.

""I have fought personally for almost all the downtown streets to be reconstructed during my 10 years in office,"" Verveer said.

However Verveer said he was disappointed Cieslewicz has delayed some of the street work he thought would happen next year.

A new section in the budget to be spent towards engineering bike and pedestrian improvements was estimated at $4 million.

Along with this is a proposed $500,000 to be spent in 2012 for bike path resurfacing within the Monona Terrace area.

$2.8 million for 2011 and $1 million for 2012 are included in the budget for the complete build-out of the Madison Police Department's new training facility.

The funding for 2011 would be for overall facility infrastructure, classroom space and the construction of a 12-lane indoor shooting range.

Funding of the Central Library was another asset of the mayor's proposed budget. According to the budget the $27 million dollar project includes the reauthorization of $15 million of borrowing and $4.5 million of other funding from 2010. Private contributions of $8 million are included in other funding.

Cieslewicz proposed to budget $100,000 to study and create criterion for the development of new neighborhood centers in Madison. In addition the budget includes funding of $3.5 million for 2012 for the construction of possible neighborhood centers.

The operating budget is scheduled to be introduced on Oct. 5.

The Common Council will review the proposed budget, consider amendments and then vote on it along with the operating budget during the week of Nov. 15.