UW-Milwaukee chancellor resigns

UW-Milwaukee Chancellor Carlos Santiago announced his resignation Monday just weeks before the start of the new term.

""I am proud of the work we have done to help make UWM an engine for economic growth in our region and to set the stage for the next 30 years of university advancement,"" Santiago said in a statement.

According to the statement, Santiago ""is slated to become the new chief executive officer for the Hispanic College Fund, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C.""

His resignation will take effect October 1.

Santiago, who has been working in public higher education for the last 30 years, previously held positions as provost and vice president for academic affairs at University at Albany, State University of New York.

Citing such projects as the creation of the School of Freshwater Sciences and the purchase of the Columbia St. Mary's Hospital, Gov. Jim Doyle praised Santiago's achievements as chancellor.

""The work we have done together has not only helped to expand the minds of Wisconsin students, it will have a great economic impact on southeast Wisconsin for decades to come,"" Doyle said in a statement. ""I wish Carlos the best of luck in his future endeavors.""