The films of the fall semester: Will they be totally great or totally ghastly?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I

""Going the Distance""

Anticipated release date: Sep. 3, 2010

It's going to be simply adorable. Will it be hysterical? Probably not. Will it be original? Very unlikely. Will it be a quality film? Definitely not. But will be adorable? Yes.

You can't judge romantic comedies on the same scale you judge other movies because, well, they're not aiming to be any good. In the same way that most horror movies are meant solely to get the heart pumping, so too are romantic comedies trying to get the heart all a-flutter. Based on the trailers and general adorableness of Drew Barrymore and Justin Long, it looks as though ""Going the Distance"" will accomplish this goal.

The movie documents the relationship of Erin and Garrett, a couple who—despite their attempts to keep their fling light and fun—develop a serious relationship, just in time for Erin to ditch Garrett in New York and head for sunny San Francisco. ""Going the Distance"" follows the efforts the couple makes to keep their love strong despite the 3,000-mile distance between them, which, based on the previews, will not be terribly unique, but entertaining regardless.

Barrymore and Long, especially because of their relationship in real life, will likely do well in their lead rom-com roles, but the supporting cast will likely serve as the movie's saving grace. Most notably, Jim Gaffigan and Saturday Night Live's Jason Sudeikis will bookend the country, ensuring that no matter what city the viewer finds him- or herself in, there should be some quality comedic relief. So long as these factors are paired with realistic movie-goer expectations, ""Going the Distance"" will likely be a worthwhile see.

—Jacqueline O'Reilly

""The Town""

Anticipated release date: Sep. 17, 2010

Of all actors in a position to have a career renaissance, Ben Affleck was one of the least likely following a series of flops including ""Daredevil,"" ""Jersey Girl"" and the infamous ""Gigli."" But following the success of his directorial debut ""Gone Baby Gone,"" Affleck has regained much of the artistic credibility he possessed following his Oscar win for ""Good Will Hunting."" This fall Affleck hopes to parlay his return to glory into further success with his sophomore effort behind the camera, ""The Town.""

""The Town"" sees Affleck returning to his hometown of Boston for a story involving a troupe of bank robbers, led by Affleck and Jeremy Renner of ""The Hurt Locker."" As they embark on a crime spree, they are pursued by a specially assigned federal agent (Jon Hamm) who happens to be in a relationship with the woman Affleck's character is wooing (Rebecca Hall). It seems like a series of clichéd plots that have all been done to death—cops vs. robbers, a love triangle on both sides of the law, actors doing obnoxious Boston accents. But ""Gone Baby Gone"" showed that Affleck has some serious potential as a filmmaker, and he has worked magic with the City on a Hill before. Plus, he has assembled a spectacular cast, which in addition to Renner, Hamm and Hall includes Chris Cooper, Pete Postlethwaite and Blake Lively. Hopefully Affleck and his murderer's row of talented vets and up-and-comers will be able to overcome its less than original plot and bring something new to the table.

—Todd Stevens

""The Social Network""

Anticipated release date: Oct. 1, 2010

At times, Facebook can seem like one of the most mindless inventions of our generation. Sure, it changed how the world communicates and all that stuff, but for many college kids, the site serves the simple purpose of being a place where one can post pictures of him- or herself tanked. But in ""The Social Network,"" director David Fincher tells the story of Facebook's invention, a story that shows the site not to be mindless, but dramatic.

Jesse Eisenberg (""Zombieland"") has the honor of playing Facebook's creator, Mark Zuckerberg, who in present day may be the world's youngest billionaire, but in the movie is nothing more than a socially awkward Harvard kid who's desperate to be cool.

Eisenberg finds himself amongst a modest cast that includes Rashida Jones and Justin Timberlake, who plays Sean Parker, an adviser to Zuckerberg and eventual president of Facebook. Beyond these three is a handful of actors whose careers don't extend far beyond the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.

The film's various trailers make ""The Social Network"" seem thrilling, so much so that, hell, you'd even consider logging off Facebook for an hour or two. But this is no guarantee the movie will be any good. For that we'll have to wait and see. But one thing's for sure. The movie has the same goal as that of a young Mark Zuckberg: It wants to be cool. From the young cast to the film's composer, Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor, to its subject matter, it's easy to tell that all this film wants is for us to accept its metaphorical friend request.

—Jacqueline O'Reilly

""Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1""

Anticipated release date: Nov. 19, 2010

Between the seven books and six films that have come out since Harry Potter's name first appeared on bookshelves back in 1997, there's always been an uncertain date for the hordes of Harry Potter fans to set their countdown clocks to. Thus, the slogan of the latest ""Harry Potter—""It All Ends Here""—might be even more frightening than the film itself, as this uncertain date seems as though it has actually arrived. Fortunately for us, though, the wizards at Warner Bros. have pushed back the inevitable doomsday, chopping the final book into two films, the first of which hits theaters Nov. 19.

""Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1,"" which runs close to two and a half hours, is focused intensively around Harry, Hermione and Ron's struggle to save the wizard-kind.  Completely alone and in hiding from the empowered Voldemort and his army of Death Eaters, our favorite threesome evoke Nicolas Cage in ""National Treasure,"" as they undertake a quest for the magical Horcruxes and Deathly Hallows that seems endless.

Fans drawn in by the humor and romance of the more recent Potter films may be disappointed with the dark approach to ""Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.""  Then again, just watching Daniel Radcliffe's callous attempts at dramatic facial expressions is humorous enough.  

—Jon Mitchell

""Little Fockers""

Anticipated release date: Dec. 22, 2010

Both ""Meet the Parents"" and ""Meet the Fockers"" were defined by the uncomfortable tension and distrust between lead characters Greg Focker (Ben Stiller) and Jack Byrnes (Robert De Niro). Because of this, one might think the series' next edition, ""Little Fockers,"" due out this winter, would head in a new direction in order to keep things fresh. But if the theatrical trailer and posters—which feature Stiller and De Niro staring down one another—are any indication of what the film will be like, audiences should be ready for the great power struggle to continue, even with a new director, Paul Weitz, at the helm.

Ten years, two films and two twin babies since he first questioned Greg about ""puffing the Magic Dragon,"" Jack's suspicions of his son-in-law's character are intense, especially now that Greg is the father of his two grandchildren—the little fockers. Even if ""Little Fockers"" is built around the repetitive tension between its sparring lead characters, a breath of fresh air will come from the star-studded cast surrounding them. Teri Polo, Owen Wilson and Barbra Streisand will all be reprising their respective roles, but newcomers Laura Dern, Harvey Keitel and bombshell Jessica Alba are sure to add some interesting, new personalties to the mix.

Because of the relative letdown of ""Meet the Fockers,"" ""Little Fockers"" will be greeted with tempered expectations at best.  Yet, there's something so intriguing about this movie series. It makes one think that Greg is speaking directly to movie-goers when he says, ""I'll be watching you, watching me."" And with a threat like that, you can't help but want to see the next installment.

—Jon Mitchell

""True Grit""

Anticipated release date: Dec. 25, 2010

If one were to look up the word ""iconic"" in the dictionary, John Wayne's picture would be right next to it. The man was such an imposing and unique figure that the idea of replicating any of his work seems sacrilegious and even masochistic when the unmatchable expectations are taken into account. But when the filmmakers tackling such a project are as established and venerable as the Coen brothers, the idea of remaking John Wayne's work suddenly becomes interesting. And when you place newly minted Oscar winner Jeff Bridges into Wayne's boots—whose first collaboration with the Coens, ""The Big Lebowski,"" created an iconic character of its own in The Dude—the idea becomes downright irresistible.

That is precisely what Bridges and the Coens are doing with ""True Grit,"" a re-telling of the 1969 western featuring not The Dude, but The Duke. His performance as Rooster Cogburn, a former marshal hired by a young girl to track down her father's killers, netted Wayne his only Academy Award. As such, it is widely praised as one of the defining performances of his career, so outright replication would be a foolish path to take. That is why Bridges and the Coens make the project worthwhile, as each brings a well-established set of quirks, idiosyncrasies and stylistic touches that should ensure this new version a unique identity right off the bat. Add in supporting turns from Matt Damon and Josh Brolin, as well as a return appearance from lauded cinematographer and frequent Coen collaborator Roger Deakins, and hopefully the Coens can capture the same lightning in a bottle that made their last western yarn, ""No Country for Old Men,"" an instant classic—this time with 100 percent more Lebowski.

—Todd Stevens