Obama visit focuses on economy and midterm elections

President Obama visited the Milwaukee area Monday to discuss the importance of the clean energy industry, and to show his support for Wisconsin's major Democratic candidates.

He began his trip in Menomonee Falls, a suburb of Milwaukee, to speak at the ZBB Energy Corporation about the importance of renewable energy.

ZBB manufactures zinc-bromine energy storage systems, a cleaner alternative to traditional lead/acid battery technologies. Because of its environmental efforts, ZBB was received a $14.7 million tax credit under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, according to a statement by the company.

""ZBB, you're part of the [environmental] process, you're cutting edge,"" the president said of the company.

President Obama started off his visit to the factory with a tour of the facilities led by CEO Eric Apfelbach. U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis, Gov. Jim Doyle, First Lady Jessica Doyle and U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Wis, also participated to observe the many different environmental efforts ZBB is spearheading.

The crowd remained relatively silent throughout the president's 13 minute speech, only breaking the quiet to applaud the remarks Obama made in concerning his belief the economy is improving.

""At this plant,"" President Obama told the company's employees, ""you're doing more than just making high-tech batteries. You're pointing the country towards a brighter economic future.""

He spoke about ZBB's mission to build a better environment, as well as how they are one of the many companies helping to create more jobs in America.

The president explained that Apfelbach plans on building another plant in southeastern Wisconsin, helping to create more jobs.

""Companies like this one are showing us how manufacturing jobs can come back right here in the United States of America, right back here to Wisconsin,"" Obama said.

Through these companies' efforts, Obama said the clean energy industry will create 800,000 jobs by 2012.

""My administration will not rest until every person willing to work has a job,"" Obama said after discussing the recession as well as his projection for the economic future.

The president also thanked the Doyles, Feingold and Moore for attending, and lauded their political achievements.

After the visit to ZBB, the president appeared at a campaign luncheon for Democratic gubernatorial candidate Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.

Although the Democrats face a tough midterm election season, President Obama still finds backing in Wisconsin. Carlynn Higbie from Milwaukee said, ""I've been a supporter of his from the beginning and I really think we're moving in the right direction.""