Capacity issues cause problems for potential Sconnie bar

An ordinance regarding capacity issues may be the obstacle delaying the opening of a ""Sconnie"" themed bar.

Founder of Sconnie Nation, LLC, Troy Vosseller and co-applicant Daniel Swerdlik submitted an application to open the Sconnie Bar in July.

In the application, the tavern is projected to have a capacity of 500. However, the Alcohol License Density Ordinance states any new bar replacing another bar cannot have a capacity that exceeds that of the former establishment.

The now closed Cue-Nique Billiards was located at Sconnie's proposed venue, 317 W. Gorham Street, and had a capacity of 175.

Mark Woulf, a member of the Alcohol License Review Commission, said he imagines Vosseller and Swerdlik are trying to figure out whether or not the business plan is feasible with the 175 capacity.

""The part of the ordinance that restricts that is [there because] we don't want to increase density in the density area, especially when we have such a big space like that and such a high capacity,"" Woulf said.

The anticipated plan for the tavern includes a full-service bar with an estimated 65 percent of its profit from alcohol sales. In addition, an estimated 25 percent of revenue would come from food and non-alcoholic beverages. The last 10 percent of revenue is by other means, which may include darts, video games and Sconnie-branded apparel.

The potential types of available entertainment range from watching sports on HDTVs and projection screens to music. The applicants are planning for both a DJ and live music at the tavern.

This will help to make it a ""great alternative bar venue,"" according to Scott Resnick, president of the State-Langdon Neighborhood Association.

""It will bring live music back downtown,"" Resnick said.

Even with that support, Woulf said he does not think there will be an amendment to the ordinance.

Further, Woulf said the issue is central to the ordinance and there may not be much support to amend it even if it was for just one license.

""It's a tough spot,"" Woulf said.