Badgers still without a head coach after Schulte's firing

The Wisconsin softball program has had a hectic summer, and their first games are still more than seven months away. 

After finishing the 2010 season with a forgettable 20-31 (5-13 Big Ten) record and an eighth-place conference finish, the UW athletic department decided not to renew the contract of head coach Chandelle Schulte. In five seasons at the helm, Schulte compiled a record of 99-153 and managed just one winning season: a 27-20 campaign in 2007.

Less than one month after firing Schulte, the Athletic Department thought it had found a replacement to lead the program.

On July 1, Athletic Director Barry Alvarez announced Creighton University coach Brent Vigness had been selected to fill the vacancy after 17 seasons in Omaha. In his time at Creighton, Vigness led the Bluejays to six regular season and tournament titles in the Missouri Valley Conference, was named MVC coach of the year three times and made seven NCAA regional appearances.

Winner of over 700 career collegiate softball games as a coach, Vigness expressed enthusiasm about his move to Wisconsin.

""The University of Wisconsin provides an incredible opportunity for me and my family. I'm excited to be part of a university with such a rich athletic and academic tradition,"" he said.

That sentiment did not last, however, morphing into remorse and re-decision less than a week later, when Vigness decided to withdraw his acceptance as head coach of the Badgers to stay at Creighton.

""The head softball job at Wisconsin is a great opportunity and the Athletic Department proved to be an unbelievable place. After several days of reflection, I came to the realization that my situation at Creighton was too ideal for me to leave,"" Vigness said. ""My decision came down to my family and in the end I realized that they are of the utmost importance to me and this decision is based on that.""

Alvarez had no direct comment on Vigness' decision, other than to announce that the university will continue its search to fill the coaching vacancy.

""It remains a terrific opportunity and we're looking forward to bringing someone aboard to lead our student-athletes and build the program,"" Alvarez said.

So far, no replacement has been found and the position remains empty.