Wisconsin fall election breakdown

state capitol

Wisconsin fall election breakdown

The remainder of 2010 is going to be big for Wisconsin politics. Both Gov. Jim Doyle and U.S. Rep. David Obey, D-Wis., will not be seeking re-election, leaving two of the state's most vital races completely up in the air. Additionally, Republicans are determined to finally defeat U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wisconsin, as he seeks a fourth term. With a long primary season culminating in September, an economy in dire need of reform and a roster of candidates ranging from the seasoned to the novice, the road to November is sure to be eventful. Here is a rundown of the candidates in the major races:

Gubernatorial Race

Tom Barrett (D)

Barrett, the Democratic frontrunner, has held political office for the better part of the last three decades. After serving as a legislator in both the state and in Congress from 1984-2003, he assumed office as Mayor of Milwaukee in 2004.

Barrett jumped in the race significantly later than his Republican counterparts, but he is making up for lost time. He has the endorsement of the Democratic Party and a comprehensive economic plan that features government job creation and tax credits for businesses. In addition, Barrett supports causes like stem cell research, reproductive rights and LGBT rights.

Scott Walker (R)

Walker, who won the Republican Party's endorsement in a landslide over Mark Neumann in May, served in the Wisconsin Legislature from 1993-2002, when he thereafter took office as Milwaukee County Executive.

Walker has been in the race the longest and has laid out his own economic plan as part of his ""Brown Bag"" campaign in which he pledged to create 250,000 new jobs by 2015 through extensive deregulation. He has also said he would fight the implementation of the federal health-care bill, and he would support immigration legislation similar to that recently passed in Arizona.

Mark Neumann (R)

Neumann is a businessman who served as a U.S. Representative from 1995-1999. He is running a mostly self-funded campaign, and although Walker received the party's endorsement, Neumann is not going down without a fight.

When it comes to economic policy, Neumann has not provided as detailed a plan as Barrett or made any sweeping promises like Walker. However, he is the only candidate with a clear plan for education, which would provide bonuses for high-performing schools and teachers, a grading system for all public schools on an A-F scale and a greater network of alternative schooling choices.

Senatorial Race

Russ Feingold (D)

Feingold has been a legislator since 1982, and has spent the last 18 of those years in the U.S. Senate. The incumbent senator will go unchallenged in the Democratic primary in September.

During his time in the Senate, Feingold voted against some of former President George W. Bush's hallmark policies, such as the Patriot Act and the invasion of Iraq, and has been an advocate for causes such as health-care reform and same-sex marriages. Recently, he has advocated for greater regulation of oil companies in response to the Gulf Coast spill.

Ron Johnson (R)

After months of speculation over who Feingold's Republican challenger would be, Johnson clinched the Republican nomination in May after entering the race less than a week before. This is the Oshkosh-based manufacturer's first run for a political office.

Johnson's stance on many issues are practically the polar opposite of Feingold's. Unlike his Democratic opponent, he is a supporter of the Patriot Act, wants to repeal national health-care reform and strongly opposes same-sex marriage and abortions because, as he says on his website, ""Freedom of religion doesn't mean freedom from religion."" Although Johnson is widely considered the favorite for the Republican nomination, he will face Watertown businessman David Westlake in the primaries.

7th Congressional District Race

Sean Duffy (R)

Duffy was appointed as District Attorney of Ashland County in 2002, and decided to challenge Obey months before the 41-year serving congressman announced his retirement. A veteran of The Real World: Boston in 1997, Duffy has received the backing of 2008 Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

Duffy stands conservative on most issues, from health care to the economy to national security. The Republican frontrunner will face self-employed Daniel Mielke from Rudolf, WI in the primaries.

Julie Lassa (D)

State Sen. Julie Lassa, D-Stevens Point, has served in the Wisconsin Legislature since 1999, and in the state Senate since 2003. She entered the race upon Obey's retirement in May, and received the endorsement of Wisconsin Democratic Party Chairman Mike Tate, according to Politico.

Lassa has not provided as detailed a platform as Duffy as she has only been in the race a short time, but economic issues have been the focus of her legislative career. She is currently the chairperson of the Senate Committee on Economic Development and also serves on the Joint Finance Committee.