Flames, Islanders take Badgers in NHL draft

Head coach Mike Eaves will not be able to immediately replace all of the departing pieces of his roster, but the 2010 Wisconsin men's hockey team is certainly still talented. That point was highlighted on June 26 in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, as sophomore defenseman John Ramage and freshman forward Jason Clark were selected by the Calgary Flames and New York Islanders, respectively.

As a freshman last year, Ramage was the only member of the regular defensive corps that had not been selected in the draft, but that changed when the Flames selected him in the fourth round with the 103rd overall pick.

Ramage asserted himself as a physical defender and used a mostly stay-at-home mantra to make life difficult for opposing forwards and help cover for his partner, offensive-minded All-American Brendan Smith, who passed up a senior season at Wisconsin when he signed with the Detroit Red Wings. Ramage also showed development in his shot throughout the season, and ended up tallying two goals and ten assists.

Despite not being on the radar screen of many experts at the beginning of the season, Ramage steadily increased his value over the course of the year by making significant contributions to a team that advanced to the national championship game.

The Badgers' other player drafted is a lesser-known quantity in Madison. Clark, an incoming freshman from Eden Prairie, Minn., heard his name called in the third round with the 82nd overall pick by the Islanders.

Clark played his last two seasons at hockey power-house Shattuck St. Mary's school in Faribault, Minn., where he scored 23 goals in 51 games played.

Even though Clark will be entering his first season with the Badgers, head coach Mike Eaves and his staff will need major contributions from him and other members of the incoming freshman class after losing a number of players from last year's team. Eaves has a track record for being able to recruit highly touted prospects, but with the amount of experience that left the program this year, college-ready players will be extremely important.

The Badgers do have a history of pulling successful players from St. Mary's, as junior forward Jordy Murray previously played for the program, as did recently departed center Derek Stepan. The school has not only produced good college hockey players, but also NHL stars like Jonathon Towes of the Chicago Blackhawks and Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins as well.