Dorm debates: a cause worth fighting for

The ongoing debate over the ultimate college experience continues to inspire death matches across campus. Badgers throughout Madison argue and defend the seemingly rat-infested pit that is Witte or the first-class, ritzy hotel that is Smith (where are the bell men?) against the students who find comfort in the small, almost hobbit-hole homes that make up the Lakeshore neighborhood.

While some of the rumors claiming that the Southeast dorms act as a gateway to raunchy parties, the hot and ditsy babes, and provide that out of control, lets-all-take-our-shirts-off atmosphere are true, I am here to reassure those prospective students who opened up their housing letters and immediately cried and turned to the Chunky Monkey after realizing that their next year would be spent in Lakeshore.

When it comes to the bloody dorm debate, I diligently stand by the lakeshore dorms, not only because they are burdened with a similar reputation to the loser kid wearing the wolf shirt who always gets chosen last for kickball, but because they continue to offer a college experience equal to their counterparts on the southeast side. Like many students, all of the southeast dorms were my top picks for dorm preferences and like many students I ended up unloading my belongings into that little red cart in Lakeshore. While the stories I heard left me with low expectations for the fun times I would be having, I am proud to say that my place in Kronshage Hall only contributed to what may have been one of the best years of my life.

While Lakeshore may be located farther away from the capitol and in a quiet, outdoorsy atmosphere, a common misconception exists that this hushed aura mirrors a quiet, studious and above all ""lame"" group of UW-Madison students. Yes, it is true that this lot by the lake offers natural amenities such as a relaxing walk down lakeshore path, a large complex of outdoor tennis courts and open field space and long docks that dip into the water as students tan in the sun, but for some reason it is believed that only nerds enjoy these simple pleasures. Wrong-o!

Not only do students who live in Lakeshore get to enjoy a few of the perks that come with the outdoors, but the smaller dorms and halls that rest in a somewhat village like manner allow for closer relationships between friends. Being in a dorm that only houses up to 70-80 people, like all the halls in Kronshage, students get to know (whether they like it or not) the ins and outs of most every single person on all three floors. Along with this come friends between neighboring dorms that sit just a few feet away and buddies that reside just across the courtyard. Being in a setting so close to your neighbors and out of the city spotlight allows for students to form a small community, much like those affore mentioned hobbit homes in Lord of the Rings. And if we know anything about hobbits, it's that they too love their ale and an excuse to drink!

Yet the face-punching hit that trumps the debate surrounds the party life that many students bite their nails about when learning that their new home is in ""Lakesnore"". Fortunately, because residents in Lakeshore know all of their friends within their dorm and surrounding halls, and because they go to a ""party school,"" learning of at least one fiesta to go to is not a problem. Like the majority of students attending UW-Madison, finding time to let loose on the weekends is at the heart of any and all Badgers. Just because you live in a quiet atmosphere does not take away that drive. In fact, I might go as far to say that this calm environment attracts less Police attention, making it a more drinking-friendly environment...not that I'm condoning any such behavior.

All in all, both the Southeast and Lakeshore dorms provide residence for new students on the hunt for a great first year away from home. While out-of-control stories of bulletin boards being set on fire and the marking of dorm rooms through the use of vomit have reached my ears about the Southeast dorms, tales of residents locking out house fellows by barricading the dorm's door with couches and friends playing a prank on their passed-out comrade by stuffing his room full of stolen bikes have left their legacy in Lakeshore as well. Crazy and outlandish memories are formed regardless of the dorm you have been assigned, and the extra walk to lakeshore is truly worth the beauty it offers. But really when it all comes down to it, just remember it's probably the cheapest you will ever pay to live directly on a lake.

Samantha Witthuhn is a junior majoring in Politcal Science. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.