Capitol Neighborhoods Inc. supports new Dayton complex

Capitol Neighborhoods Inc. supported plans for the proposed 431 W. Dayton St. building project at a Mifflin Neighborhood Meeting Wednesday.

The vacant two-bedroom house currently on the property is planned to be demolished, and a brand-new four-story, fully furnished apartment complex is anticipated to be built in its place.

The proposed plans for the building consist of one unit on each of the four floors, with each unit averaging about 2000 square feet. There are expected to be 23 bedrooms throughout the entire complex.

""We've kind of taken the city's lead and tried to construct a building that fits the current use for college kids,"" Daniel Bohl, who spoke on behalf of the project, said. ""The majority of the neighborhood is college students, too.""

The plans also include a green space in the backyard intended to be a grilling area for residents. Twenty-three bike and two moped stalls have also been included in the plan.

The building is anticipated to draw in junior and senior undergraduates who want to break away from the possible congestion that comes with living in the downtown high-rises.

The proposal is being presented in two weeks in front of the city's Urban Design Commission.

The renovation of the former Planned Parenthood building at 416 W. Mifflin St. was also discussed at the meeting. Capitol Neighborhoods Inc. is taking into consideration the construction of an apartment complex by Connery-Fedler Building and Design.

The proposed plan consists of a four-story complex with an additional underground parking level. The building is anticipated to consist of mostly studios and singles with only three three-bedroom apartments. There is planned to be a total of 33 units and 55 bedrooms.

However, it was argued that the implementation of an apartment complex on Mifflin Street would inevitably draw an excessive amount of undergraduates, threatening what one opponent of the plan called ""a nice kind of balance"" achieved with regard to age groups on Mifflin Street.

Meeting participants later agreed that smaller units would draw a less party-oriented crowd.

A meeting will be held Tuesday to discuss the project further.