Wood censured for OWI, avoids expulsion

The state Assembly voted 73-24 Wednesday in favor of a substitute amendment ordering the censure, instead of the expulsion, of state Rep. Jeff Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, for operating while intoxicated charges that he will begin serving a 45-day jail term for next week.

UW-Madison political science professor Barry Burden said a censure is usually ""a slap on the wrist.""

""It's a verbal reprimand with no repercussions beyond that,"" he said.

He added that though it does not force the person from office or necessarily strip them of committee assignments or leadership positions, those repercussions may occur unofficially.

Thirty-two Republicans and 41 Democrats supported the censure while 14 Republicans, nine Democrats and Wood, the lone independent, voted against it.

After an hour and a half of deliberation, the Assembly passed the bill at 7:30 a.m. Wood said taking up a resolution so early in the morning was inappropriate.

State Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, who originally proposed Wood's expulsion, said the censure was not strong enough.

""I believe members of the Legislature are capable of living up to the same real-world standards of conduct expected by those who elect us,"" Nass said.

State Rep. Mary Hubler, D-Rice Lake, who introduced the substitute amendment for censure, led a committee to determine the course of action the Legislature should take against Wood, if any.

""This hasn't happened ever that there was a special committee put together to judge another member, and it is serious,"" she said. ""But the people of [Wood's district] had an opportunity on Jan. 5 to recall this legislator. They didn't do that. I don't know why we, in this body, should replace their judgment with ours.""

Burden noted that recent legislation cracking down on drunken driving may have influenced legislators' reactions to Wood's OWI.

""Making an issue out of it seems like a reasonable thing to do because of the larger message legislators are trying to send about drinking and driving statewide,"" he said.

He also noted that Wood's power over legislation ends this week with the end of this legislative session.

""The story is probably done after this week,"" Burden said. ""I think this is the final chapter.""