UW Transportation Services face setbacks during construction

UW Transportation Services officials highlighted lost parking permit and meter revenue during its Tuesday meeting which addressed its $1 million budget deficit.

According to Director Patrick Kass, new building projects have reduced the number of UWTS parking spaces, forcing the UWTS to look elsewhere for funding streams.

""We've already paid the cost to build that [parking lot] and with that income, we were able to fund other expenses in our department,"" Kass said. ""As we lose that lot, we lose that revenue source.""

According to the comprehensive campus plan, 2,300 parking spaces will be lost from construction but UWTS plans to build 3,700 more.

According to Kass, there are 75,000 faculty, staff, students and visitors on campus every day and only 13,000 parking spaces to accommodate them.

Currently, about 80 percent of UWTS revenue is permit parking and visitors' parking.  The majority of UWTS revenue is derived from permit holders, and Kass said they may have to make up some of the budget deficit.

""Permit holders are going to be challenged ... as we just look at parking permits,"" Kass said.

He said UWTS is looking for many other ways to balance the budget as well.

""We have a lot of different transportation alternatives and we need to be able to sustain and strengthen those alternatives.""

UWTS' main mission is to provide innovative transportation solutions for the campus, including buses, cars, carpooling and bicycle alternatives.

According to Kass, feedback from public transportation users is key to implementing new programs. UWTS is looking for ways to balance their budget and provide programs for the future.

For more information, visit www2.fpm.wisc.edu/trans/.