Students take part in local government

johnson: Students can take part in local politics by voting for Analiese Eicher or Michael Johnson in Tuesday?s Dane County Board of Supervisors election.

Students take part in local government

UW-Madison students may not consider their role in Madison city politics, but city issues have a direct impact on the campus area and student life.

According to Analiese Eicher, UW-Madison student and candidate for Dane County Board of Supervisors, students tend to pay attention to state and national issues rather than city issues. She said students do not form a solid link to city politics while attending UW-Madison.

""I think there is a piece that is missing,"" Eicher said. ""We have city community and student community.""

Austin Buerosse, a UW-Madison student and non-voting representative on the city's Alcohol License Review Committee, said it is difficult for students to learn about city issues.

""Meetings are intricate and technical, especially if you aren't versed in this,"" he said.

Eicher added that even though students may wish to learn about city politics and voice their opinions, they can be constrained by the complex ordinances and long meetings, both of which require a time commitment.

""[It takes time] to go to school and have 18 credits,"" she said. ""A lot of us have student jobs on and off campus.""

Despite these circumstances, Buerosse said he believes UW-Madison students still follow city politics. Buerosse said students follow big issues like the alcohol density plan over the course of the many meetings about the issue.

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, said although students may maintain a grasp on city politics, they may not realize the personal impact the discussions have on their community.

""A lot of the issues that students deal with on a day-to-day basis are dealt with on a city level,"" he said.

Mark Woulf, UW-Madison student and voting representative on the Alcohol License Review Committee, said the committee has a direct impact on students and does more than determine which businesses can serve alcohol. He said the ALRC also addresses entertainment options available to underage students and area safety concerns.

""It's really about not only bringing money to the bars, but the secondary effects to crime in the area,"" he said.

One of the largest involvement efforts from UW-Madison students in recent years occurred in late 2009 when students urged the ALRC to increase student representation on the committee.

Following pressure from students, the Madison Common Council voted to add two seats to the ALRC, one for an alder and the other for a community member. Mayor Dave Cieslewicz appointed a student to the new citizen seat to serve a three-year term.

According to Michael Johnson, a former MATC student who is running opposite Eicher for the Dane County Board of Supervisors District 5 seat, students should care about his election because the Board deals with housing, the environment and immigration concerns, among other issues.

Johnson suggested that immigration may currently be the largest social issue the Board addresses. He said Dane County allows for deportation when undocumented immigrants are jailed. Those who are pulled over for traffic violations face the risk of being deported by the state. Immigration on the local level is not something students are aware of, Johnson said.

Woulf said the public can have an even greater impact on local legislation than on politics at the state or national level. He said if students commit to learning about what is going on in their communities it could have a large payoff.

""Public opinion affects how an issue will be argued and heard by a committee and not just thrown away,"" he said.

Eagon said in the past few months ASM has become more interested in local issues. He added that some student organizations offer a gateway to becoming more involved in local policy making.

""Even fragmented engagement is better than none,"" he said.

The Dane County Board of Supervisors District 5 election will be held April 6.