Students receive $30,000 national scholarships toward graduate studies

UW-Madison juniors Asad Asad and Nicholas Lillios were awarded $30,000 each from two scholarship programs to put toward graduate studies.

Asad was one of 20 undergraduates in the nation selected as a 2010 Beinecke Scholar.

According to the Beinecke Scholarship Program, the program seeks students who ""have demonstrated superior standards of intellectual ability, scholastic achievement and personal promise during his or her undergraduate career.""

Asad is double majoring in political science and Spanish. He plans on pursuing a doctorate in political science from Columbia University with a focus on immigration policy.

Lillios was one of 60 undergraduates in the U.S. to be awarded the 2010 Truman Scholarship.

According to the Truman Scholarship Program, it seeks ""college juniors with exceptional leadership potential who are committed to careers in government, the nonprofit or advocacy sectors, education or elsewhere in the public service.""

Lillios is majoring in political science and biochemistry. He is seeking an M.D. and M.P.H. degree in hopes of researching solutions to disparities in health care.

Other UW-Madison students were also awarded prestigious scholarships. Kimberli Kramer, Sonia Trevino-Dopatka and Steven Banik received a $7,500 Goldwater Scholarship for the 2010-'11 academic year. Steven Olikara and Emily Duma were each awarded a $5,000 Udall Scholarship.