MPD announces report card program to curb car break-ins

In an attempt to curb the number of car break-ins in Madison, the Madison Police Department announced Thursday it will begin to issue report cards to vehicles on the north side.

The pilot program is inspired by a program used in Arlington, Texas, which MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said has had a positive impact on that community. The report cards are pass/fail and will be put under the windshield wipers of vehicles.

Each report card will indicate whether a vehicle has passed or failed based on whether property is in plain view, doors are unlocked or windows are open. DeSpain said this is a new way of conveying information they have been giving the public for years.

""Oftentimes criminals are very opportunistic, and if they see something they'll take your car,"" DeSpain said. He added that the report cards are not tickets.

""It's really just to raise consciousness and get people to think about how they're leaving things in their car, if they're leaving them unlocked or windows down, things like that,"" he said.

If the program goes well, MPD plans to expand it to all of Madison, using data to target areas where there have been rashes of break-ins.  DeSpain said the program will not require officers to work overtime, nor will it cost a lot of extra money.

""It will at least help people from being victimized,"" DeSpain said. 

""It's a way for people to be reminded of how they can decrease the chances that their car is going to be selected.""