Group threatens Doyle in letter

Gov. Jim Doyle received a letter from an anti-government group last week that saying he would be removed from office if he did not leave within three days.

The Associated Press reported that the Guardians of the Free Republics have sent similar letters to more than 30 other governors, and the FBI expects all 50 governors to receive a letter.

""We are not aware of any immediate or credible threats of violence as part of this group's plan,"" Leonard Peace, Wisconsin FBI public affairs specialist, said. ""[We shared information] with our federal, state and local partners to ensure they are equipped with the tools they need to better recognize behaviors and other indicators consistent with other homeland security threats to prevent violence or criminal acts.""

Carla Vigue, spokesperson for the Wisconsin Department of Administration, said in an e-mail that Doyle's security detail is aware of the letter and closely monitoring his safety as usual. At least two other states have increased security after receiving the letters, according to the AP.

Although the group's website discourages members from taking action, this will not prevent all violence, according to Peace.

""There's always the concern that something like this could incite others to react,"" he said.

The Guardians of the Free Republics believe the U.S. government is dominated by corporations. The fringe group opposes taxation and refers to the United States as the United States Federal Corporation.

""The Restore America Plan is the strategic mechanism for restoring the lawful institutions of earthly government across the land lawfully, peacefully and honorably, in a manner that reflects the desire of the sovereign People to be governed by consent, according to contract, and without hypothecation of their God-given labor to money vultures, war profiteers and the world's secret banking cartels,"" the group's website says.