Tips for dining, drinking and living off-campus-Westside Madison

pizza: An authentic italian pizza emerges from an 800ºF wood oven at Pizza Brutta.

If the farthest west you have been in Madison is Camp Randall, it is time to take a journey. There is a whole world of gastronomic delights, just a few minutes walk past the stadium. Discovering these delights is simple: next time you and the gang/significant other have a few hours and a mad hunger to kill after class or on the weekend, take a stroll over to Monroe Street.

For those who are a bit shy about leaving campus, let me dangle a carrot: The best food in Madison is not found on State Street. If you don't get off the beaten path and find the places that quietly serve their tasty masterpieces, you might just get your diploma without ever experiencing the best food of your life.

New Orleans Take-Out is a great place to start a westward exploration. Not only is it one of the closest places to campus, literally a stone's throw from Camp Randall, but also makes one of Madison's best sandwiches. The New Orleans Po' Boys have everything a sandwich should: fresh, crusty bread, a choice of fine fillings (try the fried catfish), cheese, pickles, lettuce and tomatoes for crunch and that sweet, fresh flavor, all of it smothered in spicy Creole sauce, which makes everything snap with the taste of the delta. The moist, crumbly corn bread and the tender and spicy red beans and rice are the perfect complements to the well-executed Cajun main dishes. A lunch at New Orleans does the limbo under the $10 bar, leaving happy feelings in stomaches and pocketbooks.

New Orleans Take-Out is just past Mickie's Dairy Bar, an easy walk for those weary of journeying to a bus stop. Mickie's has long been a staple in Madison, serving classic hangover food to hordes of students on weekend mornings until early afternoon. However, while Badger spirit runs high here, the wait for weekend tables does not seem justified by the food. Huge omelets and scramblers are the most popular items, and there is nothing more exciting than the gargantuan portions.

Out of sight of the stadium is where Monroe Street really takes on a character of its own. The shops here have that eclectic, funky spirit that Madison is known for. To get away from the Sconnie gear shops and TGI McFunster's of State Street, this is the idyllic haven you have been looking for.

Monroe Street shares one shop with State Street, however: Art Gecko. This whimsical Madison staple is always fun to walk through, play some wooden instruments and maybe buy a scarf or some silk parachute pants.

The Dardanelles is a Mediterranean restaurant and is best visited for a weekend brunch, before 2 p.m. It caters to a quieter crowd, which makes it a nice spot to relax with a friend early in the day. Their complimentary bread with apricot honey butter is quite delicious, as was the Coban salad. Brunch dishes, such as the flaky, buttery Borek were better executed than the dinner dishes, such as the Atlas Casserole and Tavuklu Engiar, which lacked spice and salt. The grilled vegetables and yogurt-dill sauce, however, were comforting and delicious.

At 7:30 on a Saturday night with a group of friends, Pizza Brutta is the perfect place to venture. The casual atmosphere, a bit loud, crowded and up-beat, is still relaxing enough to devour some of the most delectable pizza this side of the Atlantic. Although more expensive than Ian's—$10 to $15 for a 12-inch pizza—ingredients like prosciutto, Parmesano-Reggiano and arugula are an undeniable step-up from Mac n' Cheese, and well worth the extra cost. 

Another intriguing shop near the beginning of Monroe Street is The Wine and Hop Shop. For anyone even remotely interested in brewing wine or beer, this is the place to learn how to do it. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and more than willing to help you explore the ins and outs of zymurgy (the study of fermentation).

Next time the weather lures you outside or your stomach growls, give Monroe Street a try. It will not disappoint. There are many quality eateries, watering holes, and fun shops. Do not be afraid to bike, walk or take the bus and visit the next time someone mentions Macha Teahouse and Gallery, The Brasserie V, Michael's Frozen Custard or Bluephie's.