Small fire sparks Grainger evacuation

Fire 1: UW-Madison students evacuated Grainger Hall for about an hour Monday afternoon as Madison Fire Department officials put out a small fire in the building.

Small fire sparks Grainger evacuation

UW-Madison students evacuated Grainger Hall after a small fire triggered the smoke alarms Monday afternoon.

Laura Bast, a UW-Madison senior who was in Grainger Hall at the time of the incident, said the alarm went off around noon.

Bast said everyone evacuated the building after the alarm sounded, but were let back in shortly after they left. She said when they went in the second time they saw smoke and were told to evacuate again.

According to Sgt. Kurt Feavel of the UW Police Department, UWPD officials received a fire report at around 12:30 p.m. and responded to the call immediately.

He said officials found fire in the building and ensured that students remained evacuated until the fire was extinguished.

Feavel said UWPD still does not know the exact cause of the fire, but according to a UW-Madison news release, officials believe the fire began in an exterior wall facing University Avenue.

Grainger Hall returned to normal business, including classes, around 1:30 p.m. as students and faculty were admitted back into the building.

According to the release, no one was injured in the fire, but UWPD officials are still investigating the situation.

—Kelsey Gunderson