Singer-songwriter title carries weight
(c

Singer-songwriter title carries weight

A singer-songwriter, by traditional standards, depicts a bard-like guitar player who can interweave abstract or direct tales of social, personal or political commentary. The most common image behind this phrase has to be a young Bob Dylan, crafted in the mold of Woody Guthrie and singing with a similar country flavor and ""This Machine Kills Fascists"" political motivation. This ideal evolved with technology and genre amalgamation, but to this day, grasps at that mysticism of being the informed poet, using either a guitar or piano to spread musical messages. In other words, singer-songwriters, according to this traditional ideal, are not supposed to be superficial pop artists. They know music is meant for more than that.

Over the years, however, this mysticism has needed to stretch to find suitable icons. Granted, names like Donovan, John Lennon and Paul McCartney in the UK, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young from Canada and countless Americans carried the torch true to its tradition for several years, even decades, in their harbored spotlights. But in the late 70s and early 80s, genre crossroads led artists down the paths of punk rock, new wave, emerging hip hop ideals, vibrant, iconic pop, etc. Technology led musicians away from those simple but crucial foundations behind the singer-songwriter, and thus, the cornerstones of music as an art form.

Should Michael Jackson, Prince and Madonna be considered among the great singer-songwriters of the 80s? How about Nirvana taking the 90s crown? Contemporary artists attached to the singer-songwriter tag laughably vary from Dave Matthews Band to Mariah Carey. Not to appear snobby, but their pop appeal lends both artists—and myriad others from all decades including Prince, MJ, etc.—an aesthetic gloss that dilutes any message they may be trying to get across with cheesy conventions. I still enjoy several of these artists thoroughly, but the sad part is hearing heaps of talent get caught up in this mainstream monster, and, as a couple friends and I were discussing recently, Lady Gaga appears to be the biggest victim yet. Her latest album points to this through its title, The Fame Monster. While it also points to surprising amounts of promise and classically tailored talent from a strong, intelligent female, all indications ultimately see her failing to stretch beyond a mainstream mold.

On the surface, seeing such talent fall to corporate media monsters and technological toys (whether musical intentions are good or not) makes the singer-songwriter ideal seem a lost cause in today's market of superficial pop sensibilities. Rather, they are just few and far between, and always hiding in unassuming settings too humble to attract spotlights. Until October 21, 2003, I steadfastly contended that Elliott Smith reigned as songwriter supreme, and I still hold him in the highest regards next to any other musical artist. And though many will cry Conor Oberst or Bon Iver here, today the crown may reside in Sweden, with the Tallest Man on Earth, also known as Kristian Matsson. After shortchanging his debut with a couple hasty listens, the conversation provoked me to rediscover him on Blogotheque performing candidly in a tiny guitar store in New York; acoustic guitars hang from the ceiling and walls as if the store is overflowing and Matsson meanders through picking up varied products to supplement his ongoing crooning. His music appears to naturally flow through him (both on video and in speaker), constantly waiting to be fleshed out through his almost virtuosic finger picking and eerily Dylan-esque voice.

The video's refreshing, genuine display is a breath of fresh air to any music appreciator, proving music's purpose can always be served by the simple, humble types who will forever prefer to see themselves performing in a bar only to join the crowd afterward and share drinks with friends and fans. Ingenuity resides in their obscure, almost layman presence, which ironically lends their powerful messages sturdy, honest legs. So while, technically, the singer-songwriter attachment should remain valid in any instance where pop music, in its traditional sense, is created, the phrase ultimately holds the weight of musical integrity when carried in the way Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, and now, Elliott Smith and Kristian Matsson make ideal.

Do you think Lady Gaga is a singer-songwriter for the new milleniuum? Explain why to Justin at jstephani@wisc.edu.