Polanski's 'Ghost Writer' builds with some thrills

The Ghost Writer: Ewan McGregor?s solid performance as the successful ghostwriter adds to the slow-building tension in the film, sometimes keeping the movie alive while the overall pace seems unfortunately stagnant.

With so many unsuccessful book-to-movie adaptations and well-known directors occasionally missing the mark, it can be difficult to wade through the messes  Hollywood continues to spew out. But this does make the reasonbly successful attempts, such as Roman Polanski's new film ""The Ghost Writer,"" that much more refreshing.

In this movie, a successful ghostwriter (Ewan McGregor) is hired to help former British prime minister Adam Lang (Pierce Brosnan) finish his memoirs shortly after the mysterious death of his first ghostwriter. The new ghost, who remains unnamed in the film, quickly learns that he's stepped into a complicated situation when news hits that Lang is suspected of being involved in an international scandal.

As the ghost  writer struggles to complete his manuscript editing, he gradually uncovers clues that potentially threatening his life as he discovers the truth behind the first ghostwriter's death and Mr. Lang's political scandal.

While the film benefits from an enticing story, it progresses at a rather slow but steady pace. The majority of the first half of the film is dedicated to setting up the plot. When McGregor does start to uncover the truth, it isn't nearly as exciting as one would hope.

In spite of this slow, meandering build-up, McGregor provides a strong performance that makes  his sometimes naïve character bearable. He fits the role well and creates a dynamic with the other actors that gives the film the air of tension it needs to stay alive. This tense mood is complemented by nervous and angry dispositions held by the characters that Brosnan and Olivia Williams (as Adam Lang's wife) portray.

The combined success of these performances with the film's mood make the pace and half-hearted evidence forgivable, especially since the story really picks up about two-thirds of the way through. The end comes with a twist, which you may or may not enjoy depending on your level of perception for movie endings.

If you enjoy crime thrillers and don't mind a film that has about as much action as an episode of ""Law and Order: SVU,"" then chances are you might be glad to catch this film before it leaves theaters.